[2] wash away the pain

context: this one shot also takes place after erwin's death lol and is kind of a continuation to the last part so ig you could say this is a two shot haha. sorry but isayama gave us canon levihan facts and i had to roll w it

[ . ]

It's been two weeks since Erwin's death. The cadets were of far fewer numbers and there were a ton of adjustments to be made to the regiment. With Erwin gone, Hange took command with the help of Levi and Armin. It's been tough getting their rhythm back as a team, but they're getting there.

As the ones in charge, Hange and Levi kept it together for the sake of the Scouts, not getting emotional, thinking rationally, and acting like they normally do in front of their cadets. After all, they were supposed to set an example as their superiors. But behind closed doors though was a different story. There weren't really any drastic change to their behavior, more like gradual and smaller changes. Levi had grown more irritable by the day and any little thing could piss him off. The cadets grew wary of him and kept their distance. Hange was even messier than usual and became more careless with her health and self hygiene. She'd been skipping meals and hadn't showered for days. This was partially due to the sudden increase in workload, considering that she had been promoted and couldn't shove her work onto Levi anymore. And sure, she looked presentable and all in front of everyone else, but really her body was just as filthy as her room.

[ . ]

"Ahhhhh, finally, I'M DONEEEE!!!", Hange exclaimed to herself as she stretched in her seat, admiring her stack of finished paperwork. It had been a hectic couple of weeks and this was the first day she finished everything early. She had a few hours to herself and decided to go eat a proper meal as she had been skipping a couple of them. She knew it was bad but there was just too much work to be done.

It was after mealtime and at this time, the cadets should be preparing for sleep. As she walked into the kitchen, she heard the kids making a bunch of noise and muttered to herself, "Children.", as if she didn't act like one herself some days. She decided to be nosy and pop in to see what they were doing. With everything going on, it had been a while since Hange got to just act friendly with the cadets, and not as their superior. Hange opened the door to their bunks and walked in on a rare occurrence. Jean and Eren arguing against everyone else. Usually, they'd be pummeling their fists at each other, but now they were side by side backing each other up. Hange looked down and saw a bottle in the midde of the circle everyone had formed and figured out what had happened. She couldn't help but laugh to herself at their childish dilemmas.

"Hange-san, what are you doing here? Do you need anything?" Armin asked, looking at her confused.

"Hange-san we should be going to sleep right?! Inappropriate games like 'spin the bottle' are forbidden right?!", Jean asked with a glint of hope in his eyes, begging me to play along.

"Oh what are you so worried about? The fact that your horse-face might 'neighhhh' and drool all over Eren's? Relaxxx, you've got nothing to worry about. Just give him a smooch. It'll initiate your bromance.", Sasha teased, getting everyone to laugh along with her joke, including Eren.

"Eren what are you laughing at? You scared that your anger issues might take over and you'll accidentally headbutt Jean causing him to fall unconscious? Y'know, it's not that far a stretch.", Connie added afterwards. The two of them, Connie and Sasha, laughed at their own and each others' jokes and turned around, hugging themselves, and began their 'pretend make-out sessions'.

Hange burst into laughter and just fueled the fire by saying, "That's right you two. It's just a kiss. What are you so afraid of?", she bellowed, having the most amused look on her face, "Or don't tell me, this would be your first kiss???", she said as she let out exaggerated gasps.