[3] too many eyes on you

in which the scouts attend a gala and hange receives too much attention for levi's liking.

+

government officials, the military police, and scouts were gathering tonight for a gala in celebration and commemoration of the capture of the female titan. it was supposed to be an elegant, yet uplifting occasion for all attending. unfortunately, not everyone's spirits were lifted by the thought of this event.

levi despised the idea of putting up faces and sucking up to people he didn't even like. sure, he wouldn't provoke any arguments or cause conflict, but that didn't mean that he intended on making new friends either. the only thing he saw that this could be beneficial for was raising the survey corps' reputation.

hange, on the other hand, was excited. mostly for the alcohol. she had already prepared for the gala and talked to the cadets about dress code and proper etiquette, although she wasn't really one to talk.

as nighttime approached, everyone made their way over to the venue. those who attended from the survey corps were separated into groups; it was similar to a buddy system but in groups of 3 and 4 instead. the groups are as followed:

armin, mikasa, eren

connie, jean, sasha

ymir, krista (historia), reiner, bertholdt

the adults didn't sort groups for themselves and just agreed to watch out for each other instead.

+

music, chatter, food, and wine soon enveloped everybody's senses as they walked into the gala. people were dancing, making small conversation, and paused to turn as the scouts finally made their entrance. they stopped what they were doing and began applauding for "a job well done" and their "successful" attempt on capturing the female titan. the scouts knew that wasn't the case, with annie encased in her crystal, refusing to come out or say anything.

the cadets split up into their respective groups as soon as they could so that they could explore the building. hange immediately went to the alcohol laid out on the table like she had planned and erwin went to mingle. levi just leaned against the wall watching everything play out, making sure no one caused trouble. he also kept an eye on hange and reminded himself to stop her before she got too out of control.

she was wearing a sleek, maroon pantsuit that fit her body perfectly. she also had combed and brushed through her hair thoroughly so it looked well-kept and neat. to match with the pantsuit, hange walked around in black heels that were a couple of inches tall.

naturally, all eyes went to her.

as the gala continued, men began to approach a tipsy hange trying to feel her up and seduce her into going with them. luckily for her, she was still sober enough to know what she was doing. she politely declined every single one of their offers. levi was watching her from afar, slightly concerned. he hated that there were so many people fawning over her but he could see why. levi, himself, acknowledged more than anyone else that hange looked absolutely ravishing tonight.

breaking levi out of his thoughts, commanders pyxis and erwin were standing at the top of the stairs clinking their glasses with a fork, grabbing everyone's attention. "good evening everyone...", levi stopped listening as he saw a man walk off with hange, him practically carrying her weight on his side.

levi shot a look of urgency at erwin and erwin nodded back with the go-ahead. maneuvering through the crowd of people, he followed them through the corridors and watched as they entered a bedroom. levi opened the door just a crack, unsure of whether hange had wanted this or not.

when he heard her say, "lev-levi. no.. what- who are yo- what are you doing?", he barged in with zero hesitation throwing the man off of her.

he then proceeded to hange, getting her quickly to her feet, while handling her with tenderness, careful not to hurt her anywhere. they walked out of the building, getting some much needed fresh air.

levi handed some water to hange, hoping it might help her sober up just a little, "here, drink."

hange took the water and chugged it down. her head was ringing and she could barely stand.

they walked further and further away from the noise until they reached a clearing in front of a lake. levi sat down, leaning his back against the trunk of a tree and set hange's head on his lap, allowing her to relax.

"thank you.", hange said, smiling warmly, "i'm sorry. i didn't know that was going to happen."

"it's not your fault. they're all bastards. i mean the way they were eyeing you all night was borderline criminal. you had way too many eyes on you.", levi huffed.

hange giggled, "aww, sooooo cute of you to keep an eye on me."

they just sat there in silence for a while after. they were worn out and tired from the gala. and it remained this way until hange spoke up.

"thanks for helping me shorty.", hange smiled and looked into his eyes, they expressed true gratitude, "i really 'ppreciate it. it's reassuring to know that there are people who care about me the way you do.", hange paused for a little before continuing, "this place is really nice. so calming... and peaceful. maybe we should just stay here levi. just the two of us. whaddya think?"

levi looked at her thoughtfully before answering, "i think you've had too much to drink four-eyes."

hange laughed lightly at his response, "yeah, you're probably right. but i mean it, y'know."

"yeah, i know."

that was the last thing hange heard before she fell asleep on levi's lap. she was snoring loudly and drooling.

levi looked down at her and took the hair tie out of her hair, brushing it out of her face. he admired the view. all of it. he admired how the lake seemed to glisten under the moonlight, reflecting the starry night, adding more beauty onto the water. he admired how peaceful it was where they sat, a gentle breeze sending chills up levi's spine. it started to get a bit cold. finally, he admired the woman who was sleeping just as peacefully as the scenery looked. levi liked the thought of this being a moment only the two of them shared.

a moment only his eyes could see.

-

-

-

-

a/n: sorry for the late update. i was writing a library type thing before this but realized it was crap, so i just scrapped it and started over. i honestly really like this chapter. also, the format change and lowercase is intended. i'll prob write like this from now on : )