40

Guess what day it is? Monday is here again everybody, so update time.  In other news, you guys are really starting to catch up with me as far as writing chapters go so I need to quit letting myself get distracted by other stories I'm working on. Wish me luck and hope you enjoy this new chapter,

-T.A.L.A.

    Dabi walked down the only-recently-familiar hall feeling. It was a long-time-familiar feeling. Defeat. It always reminded him of a certain person looming over, reminding him of how useless he had turned out to be.

Couldn't stand the heat of his fire or control it very well. Couldn't use ice at all or mitigate his body temperature. Couldn't behave like someone should. Couldn't endure it like the others. Couldn't even stay out of trouble by himself once he set out on his own.

What good was he?

No. He shook off the negative feeling that was trying to grip him again. It had been a long time since his self-doubt had managed to get a hold on him. And, just because nobody was there to shake him out of it this time- considering his friends, sometimes that was quite literally- that didn't mean he would let negative thoughts control him this time either. He was worth something. And he would do more next time.

He had a meeting to get to anyway, Nedzu had called to UA a whole assortment of heroes in order for their rescue operation to go off without a hitch.

"I used to wonder where you had scuttled off to." Dabi jerked around the situation all too familiar in every possible sense. "I never thought you of all people would somehow end up pulling yourself together and trying to make something of yourself, but it's not much of a surprise either to see how that turned out."

     "Endeavor." Dabi grit his teeth, reminding himself that punching the number one hero in the face would not be a good look for a rookie hero. "I didn't expect to ever see you again either. Was that all?"

     "No." Both glared at the other, "I heard an interesting rumor about the hero Red: that he had flames that could freeze things as well as burn through bone. Imagine my disappointment when I found out it was just you. Rumors always do blow things out of proportion."

     "I'm glad, why don't you continue to feel miserable and leave me be; I have better things to do."

      "Ah, excellent, you both already know each other!" Nedzu made an appearance then interrupting whatever the fiery number two hero was about to say. Both glared at each other before turning towards the UA principal not bothering to hide their dislike for the other, "Now none of that now, I can see quite clearly you're not fond of each other, but I called this meeting of heroes to discuss our next steps not to fight with each other."

     "Yes, you made the right call deciding to turn to more competent people." Dabi's flinch was visible as was his clenched teeth and fists. The use of people rather than heroes hung stiffly in the air

     Nedzu frowned heavily at the taller, "I can assure you Red has my full faith. The attack would have been much worse without him there." This time it was Endeavor who sneered, but he looked away from the diminutive Principal first.

     "If you're sure, but perhaps if you hadn't been so trusting with your staff we wouldn't have been in this situation at all. I can see how this whole disaster happened if you really hire this mess. Where is the meeting held?"

     Nedzu frowned more at Endeavor but to no avail, "If you feel that strongly perhaps you should have taken the test like the others. Come along, I'll show you both to the staff room." Silence reined as Nedzu led the way, both fire users glaring fiercely at each other from time to time. Dabi knew the other wasn't always like this. Just with him. Somehow, he'd always managed to get on the man's every nerve. The next time Endeavor glared at him, he smirked back- the expression had never felt so fake to him before- and they looked seconds away from erupting into flame in response.

Dabi glanced away again.

"Alright then, here we are, Endeavor just go right on in, I'd like to have a word with Red if you don't mind."

Endeavor scoffed, smirking at Dabi in turn as he marched on into the room.

Dabi remained where he was standing, filled with dread, as the door slid fully shut. Nedzu motioned for him to follow them walking down the hall to another room and gesturing him inside.

"Now, first off, be honest; how are you doing?"

He froze, "I'm sorry?"

"How are you holding up. I know Eraserhead is beating himself up over this- quite literally with all the patrols and training he is doing- and Vlad King is struggling quite a bit with this as well. Mr. Celebrity also has been quite guilt ridden over this all although I doubt he would say as much. I haven't seen him on patrol anywhere outside the UA area in quite some time. You are not alone in feeling as if you have failed, all nine of you are dealing with it in your own ways- even I struggle to accept that all I can do is help get them back and be more prepared next time- and I just want to let you know that I am here for you. Okay?"

Dabi hesitated for a moment not quite sure what to say before wordlessly nodding. Thankfully the small hero seemed to understand and smiled faintly and nodded back.

"Excellent, now I've heard quite a few stories about what happened at the training camp, and I'd like to say good job. You noticed something was wrong and took lead on retrieving the students and rallying a defense, excellent work."

Nedzu paused for a moment before continuing, "Although normally I have to say knocking out or dragging students is something we don't exactly approve of, given the situation you choose the quickest way to get them to safety so I suppose I can't complain too much. It's young Tetsutetsu, Katsuki, and Ochaco that have gone missing. Apparently the latter two chasing after somebody they saw in the forest while you were distracted with fighting and the former running off from the lodge after deciding he couldn't wait there any longer. We're quite lucky nobody else left with him."

     "Lucky," Dabi drawled a scowl forming on his face. "They would have noticed a whole contingent of students trying to sneak out."

     "But there's no telling if they would be able to keep them safe or that the students wouldn't become targets as well."

      Dabi sighed in annoyance and Nedzu offered a sympathetic smile, "I understand it's frustrating, but I trust that you did all you could, and now all that we can do is to go above and beyond to rescue them and prevent it from happening ever again."

       Silence fell for a few more moments as Dabi fought and failed to keep his frustration from the other's keen eyes.

      "I wasn't aware you were already acquainted with Endeavor." It was carefully phrased to see what he was willing to give up.

     Dabi took the silence this time for what it was, a chance to decide on just how much he was going to say and how he was going to say it.  "We go back awhile, but we never got along all that well."

     "He is well known for his almost hatred of vigilantes."

      "Yes, I suppose he is."

       Dabi could tell from the look on the other's face they didn't believe that was how they knew each other, but Nedzu let it go with a slight nod.

Brushing his hands off he headed back to the door, "It's best not to keep the all waiting too long- quite a few heroes have issues with playing well with others and I suppose I couldn't complain even if they have trashed the room already considering it was me that called them all here."

Nedzu smiled briefly and they left together to join the meeting.