three; the start of the competition and the war of owls

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

jealousy is a sign
that you really just love a person

══════ ∘◦❁◦∘ ══════

September 2nd, 1976 -

Regulus was expected to be the top of his class, nothing less could be acceptable for a Black. But Regulus Black didn't anticipate someone like Aurelia Skyes and that fact didn't settle well with him. It irked him how someone who didn't seem to care about anything was so naturally talented, how effortlessly casting came to her, though she never was found poring over books in the library. He was jealous of the blonde, plain and simple. He hated how easily she coasted through classes, how she was incredibly popular, how talented she was at Quidditch, but most importantly the relationship she had with her 'brother', and even more so his brother. He despised how easy her life was.

Regulus and Sirius were best friends once upon a time but that chapter of his life came to an end before it had even truly began. So when he saw the blonde laughing so easily with his brother, he resented her, resented the fact that everyone but him had a special connection with Sirius. The fact that she was his biggest competition in practically everything at school made it even easier to hate her, and the hatred between the two became deep rooted, a mystery tangled in a web of confusion, and both of them had truly forgotten why they hated each other, but it was just the way it was supposed to be as far as they were concerned.

For Aurelia, it was easy, Regulus Black was the definition of what she hated, the type of person who would go on to murder muggles, muggleborns, squibs, her parents. He was an entitled pureblood extremist, who strongly supported the agenda of the people who broke into her home and slaughtered her parents without a care that what they are doing was so wrong. The minute Sirius had told her that Regulus was the type to buy into the pureblood propaganda, she immediately became wary of him. The fact that he seemed to hate her, only concreted the fact that they'd never get along, so she went along with it without any problems, because the more time she was forced to spend with him, the more she detested him. 

And with OWLs approaching and tensions rising, the pair were determined to show each other up and cement their place as number one in their year. So that's how they found themselves staring determinedly at McGonagall as she droned on about OWLs. 

"You cannot pass an OWL," she said grimly. "without serious application, practice and study. I see no reasons why everybody in this class should not achieve an OWL in Transfiguration as long as they put in the work. So... today we are starting Vanishing Spells. These are easier than Conjuring Spells, which you would not usually attempt until NEWT level, but they are still among the most difficult magic you will be tested on in your OWL."