#6

Essence

Today at school felt unusually quiet without the presence of the four boys I had been avoiding all week. Walking to class solo and spending lunch peacefully in the library seemed oddly uneventful. Despite my efforts to shake off thoughts of them, I couldn't help scanning the surroundings for any sign of their presence, but they were nowhere to be seen.

Although I wasn't particularly worried about them, I couldn't help but wonder where they had disappeared to. Pushing those thoughts aside, I retrieved my belongings from my locker and left the bustling school building behind. It was the last day of the school week, yet instead of a rush to leave, students lingered, engrossed in conversations.

With three hours to spare before my shift at the restaurant, I felt a familiar jittery anticipation. However, my anticipation quickly turned to frustration when my car refused to start, emitting a deep sound that caught me off guard. After several failed attempts, I reluctantly gave up, frustratedly punching the steering wheel and wincing at the unexpected pain.

As I stewed in irritation, a knock on my window startled me, and I turned to see Neil's overly cheerful face peering in. I had thought he wasn't coming to school today. Grabbing my keys and bag, I stepped out of the car, slamming the door behind me.

"What's with the hostility towards your car, Ess?" Neil quipped, his eyes widening with amusement at my irritated expression.

"My car decided to act up," I sighed, shooting a frustrated glance at the now silent vehicle. It had been working perfectly fine this morning.

"Well, come on then, we'll give you a ride," Neil offered, taking my hand before I could object, leading me to a nearby black car where the other three boys were waiting.

Wait.

Before I could protest, Neil ushered me into the backseat, sandwiched between Jacob and him. "I thought you guys weren't coming to school today," I said, bewildered, as I exchanged confused glances with each of them.

"We weren't," Zail replied, smirking as he started the car and began to reverse. "But we couldn't let our favorite girl go home alone."

Rolling my eyes, I retorted, "Yeah, well, I'm not going home."

"Where are you headed, then?" Easton asked, turning to face me from the front seat.

I hesitated before responding, "I was planning to grab something to eat and then head to a potential job. Could you just drop me off in town?"

"A bite sounds good, doesn't it, guys?" Easton suggested enthusiastically, ignoring my silent plea for solitude.

"It sure does, Easton. Mind if we join you, Ess?" Zail chimed in, tapping his fingers on the wheel.

"I—" I began, only to be cut off by Easton. "Great! So, where are we going, gang?" he exclaimed, and I resigned myself to the inevitable loss of my peaceful day.

The remainder of my free time was spent half-eating and half-arguing about where to eat. I had never met such indecisive people in my life.

"We're here," I declared, pointing to the restaurant as we pulled into the parking lot. The car fell silent, and Zail turned to me slowly. "This is the place?" he asked, exchanging surprised looks with the others, much to my annoyance.

"Yeah. Have you guys been here?" I inquired, peering out the window in confusion. "It's huge inside," I added, trying to break the awkward tension.

"I'm coming in with you," Neil announced, and I protested, kicking him in the side.

"I'm coming, end of story," he insisted, finally relenting and allowing me to exit the car. To my dismay, each of the boys followed suit, creating a spectacle that resembled a circus act.

"Fine, but don't talk to me once we're inside," I muttered under my breath, leading the way into the restaurant. However, my attempt at solitude was short-lived as the boys trailed behind me with determination, much to my chagrin.

Inside, I approached the counter, only to be greeted by a man who informed me that they didn't open until nine. I explained that I was here yesterday and to find a man named John, quickly, he turned around which caught me off guard.

"Right, sorry, that's me," he said, extending his hand for a firm handshake. His grip was strong, causing me to wince involuntarily. Without waiting for me, he launched into a tour of the establishment.

After the tour concluded, he asked if I had any questions, to which I replied in the negative before being interrupted by a familiar voice.

"What are you idiots doing here?" the voice demanded, and I turned to see Easton standing there.

"We're here to watch our new friend start her new job," he replied casually.

"Well, I'll see you Monday. Your training shift starts at nine PM until midnight. Good luck, Essence," John said, shaking my hand one last time before departing.

Turning around, I collided with a solid chest and rubbed my forehead in annoyance. "Jesus, have you heard of personal space?" I snapped, only to freeze as I recognized the intense grey eyes staring back at me.

"We meet again," he remarked, and confusion clouded my mind.

"What are you doing here?" I asked, bewildered.

"Now, now, is that any way to address your boss?" he replied smugly.

"Boss?" I sputtered, feeling as though I might choke.

"Oh yes, I own this place, and as of now, I own you," he declared, his tone leaving no room for argument.

"You do not own me," I protested, refusing to be treated like his possession.

"Oh, but I do. And I expect only favorable words from that pretty mouth of yours," he said, interrupting me with a finger to my lips.

"What the—" I began, but he silenced me with a warning glare.

"Language," he admonished, his tone icy.

"Asshole," I muttered under my breath, shaking my head in frustration.

"What was that?" he demanded, leaning down to my level with a raised eyebrow.

A smirk tugged at his lips as he enjoyed my discomfort. "Nothing," I replied, forcing a smile and crossing my arms defensively.

"Good girl," he murmured, his voice low enough that only I could hear.

With a final command to meet him at his house tomorrow at nine, he strode off, leaving me reeling in confusion.

As the boys made their exit, Easton couldn't resist adding a cheeky comment. "That was intense. I could feel the tension."

"Let's just go," I said, eager to escape the awkward encounter.

Stupid club, stupid owner.