the one when they have christmas

Bloody. Battered. Bruised. Fallen face. Messy hair. Lily could hardly find the words to really capture the image that stood before her. He just looked so...broken. The blondes heart ached as the two stood mere feet apart, staring at each other in the foyer of her home. Reaching her hand to the side, Lily flicked on the light, illuminating the face that she had missed over the past week. His typically bright blue eyes had a darker tint to them, highlighted by the discoloured bruise that surrounded one.

She took a few steps forward, and he followed suit. He dropped his bag with a soft thud as his hands enclosed her face, their foreheads falling against one anothers. Lily felt his breath fan against her face in laboured spurts, as hers quicked at the feeling of his rough hands on her cheeks. The world fell away around them as they relished in each other once more, that safe feeling he always provided her returning to the blondes bones. It was when he winced at the feeling of her hands on his chest, when Lily realized he was injured and well, that was her speciality.

"Go sit in the kitchen, I'll get the first aid kit." She whispered, pressing a gentle and ginger kiss to the man's lips before reluctantly pulling away.

Her fingers lingered briefly on his hand as Lily turned, walking towards the main floor bathroom where she kept the first aid kit. Her hands were shaking and mind was in a flurry. He looked so bruised, so hurt and broken. Lily was scared to even ask what happened on the mission. Sure she was curious, but the fact he was alive, and back with her, well that's all that Lily needed. Being able to see him and take care of him.

Picking up the white box, Lily made her way back towards the kitchen where Bucky sat with Joey, petting the dog carefully with his metal arm. Pulling out the white wooden chair next to the man, she opened the box in silence. Neither seemed to know what to say, and Lily didn't want him to talk. She just wanted to feel his presence return, and appreciate the moments where there wasn't anything to say. And just appreciate him being there with her, alive and safe now.

"How was the flight?" she whispered, looking up at him through her lashes as she helped him remove the leather jacket that was now ruined.

He didn't answer. His face was solemn and eyes distracted. Lily knew not to push it. Some mornings he would wake up in a similar state, mind too busy to fully form sentences. She knew he came with baggage and mental setbacks, but she would do whatever it took to make sure he was happy and felt safe during those times. So instead, she worked in silence. Helping him pull the blood stained blue henley off, and examining the gashes and bruises that littered his chest and entire upper body. The sight made Lily feel slightly sick to her stomach, seeing him in such pain.

Twenty minutes passed and Lily was still working, stitching and sterilizing. Neither spoke. But when she reached the largest gash that covered the side of his abdomen, the man lifted the young doctor's head gently with his flesh hand, making their eyes meet. His fingers tapped at her lips and she smiled solemnly at his request. It had become a tradition for the two that whenever he felt his darkest, she'd sing to him. It took awhile for her to feel comfortable doing it, due to her own nerves. But she saw the comfort it brought him, and she nodded.

"I've never felt this strong," she began, voice hushed as she prepared a cotton swab with alcohol, "I am invincible, how could this go wrong?" she sang, leaning forward and dabbing at the wound, "No, here, here's where we belong, I see a road ahead, I never thought I'd dare to tread." She squinted her eyes at the sharp hiss that fell from his lips.

"Like an imagine passing by, my love, my life," she continued, cleaning the blood around the wound, "in the mirror of your eyes, my love, my life."