Lesson #27: Make Him Jealous More Often

A/N: Hey guys! I just finished some exams this past week, so that's why I've been MIA. I hope you guys like this chapter! To make up for taking so long, I gave you guys some good smut :) enjoy!

I slipped outside quietly, spotting Brett sitting on the curb next to his car. I crossed my arms, walking across the lawn to get to him, still waking up as I reached him. "Hey, what's up?" I asked, sitting down next to him, keeping some distance between us. "Is everything okay?" 

He glanced over at me, his eyes red and wet from crying. He hugged his knees to his chest, shaking his head. "I'm an idiot," he mumbled. "I'm sorry I woke you up in the middle of the night. I shouldn't have even called you after what happened at the mall. I know Derek didn't like me talking to you, but I didn't know who else to call. No one else knows about Liam and I-"

"Brett, calm down," I cut him off, hoping the look I was giving him seemed comforting and not as annoyed as I felt, having just woke up. "What's going on?" I tried again.

He sighed, wiping his eyes with a small shrug. "I told him how I felt," he started, licking his lips anxiously. "He said. . . he said there was someone else. He doesn't feel the same, Stiles. This whole time, he was leading me on and I didn't even have a chance."

I had no idea what to say. Even I saw the way Liam was around Brett and I was convinced they were meant to be. I encouraged Brett to come clean about his feelings, so I felt like this was partially my fault. "I'm so sorry," I said finally, putting my hand on his shoulder to comfort him, hopefully. I wasn't sure what else to do. "I know this really sucks, but at least you know now. You can start the process of moving on."

"I guess," he whispered, new tears replacing the ones he had just wiped away. "I just wish I knew before I screwed everything up with Derek. I mean, of course I'm happy for the two of you, but I'd be stupid if I thought I didn't mess up by losing him." I understood what he meant, so I just smiled sadly, wishing there was more I could do to help him. If Derek had rejected me, I would be in Brett's shoes, so I was trying to be sympathetic. "I'm never going to find anybody as nice and caring as you, Stiles. Derek is so lucky to have you. I doubt you'd ever hurt him."

"I'm not perfect," I replied, face red from his compliments. I wasn't used to anyone talking about me like that. Derek was usually the only one to compliment me, so I didn't know how else to handle it. "You'll be graduating in like a month, right? When you go off to college, there's going to be so many guys there. You'll find someone for sure."

"I don't know," he doubted, stretching his legs out in front of him, leaning back on his hands as he stared at the ground. "With my luck, I'll never fall in love. Maybe I'm just an asshole." 

"You're not an asshole," I protested, bumping his shoulder. "You can be, I guess, but that goes for most people. But I know you, Brett, and you're a nice guy. You just have to have confidence in yourself. For now, though, why don't you just take some time for yourself?" I suggested, our eyes meeting as he chewed on his lip, his expression uncertain. 

"You mean, stop looking?" he wondered, pulling his knees back to his body to rest his arms on top of them. 

"Yeah," I nodded, hoping now that he was done crying, he would be okay enough to leave soon. As much as I felt bad for him, I wanted to go back to bed. I'd text him tomorrow to make sure he was okay, but I was still so tired. "Figure out who you are without boys," I explained further. "Maybe once you understand yourself more, you'll find it easier to talk to guys?"