Lesson #16: First (not)date

A/N: Another update! You're welcome :)
ALSO if anyone here is a Draco Malfoy fan, I've published the first two chapters of my Draco fic! Check it out if you're interested :) (note, it's not bxb like my other fics, but I'm still in love with it)

Monday morning, I walked into school with a mission to find Derek and ask him why he refused to answer my texts. He didn't even read them, so it wasn't like he just left me on read. I was a little worried about him because he never did anything like this. Before the first bell, I walked all the way to his locker, luckily finding him on my first try. He stood with his head in his locker, gathering his books for his first class. 

"Derek," I said, slowly walking up behind him. "I texted last night, but you never answered. Is everything alright?" I asked, as he turned around to face me with an unreadable expression. We never talked much at school, despite agreeing that we should talk more now that Lydia knew we were friends. Maybe that's why he didn't look happy to see me. 

"Everything's fine," he replied, offering a small smile that I didn't believe for one second. "I gotta get to class, but we'll talk later?" He started to walk away and without thinking, I reached out, grabbing his hand tightly to hold him there. Derek paused, his eyes staring at their intertwined fingers for a moment before looking up to meet my eyes again. "I guess we can talk now," he sighed, moving in closer to me. "What's up?"

"What's up?" I repeated, raising an eyebrow. "That's what I'm trying to figure out, Der. You never ignore my text messages. Did I do something wrong? Did something happen with Brett? What is it?" I demanded, trying not to get worked up over this. I realized quickly that I was still holding his hand, so I let go and shoved my hand in my pocket, putting some space between us. 

Derek sighed, putting his hands on my shoulders as he leaned in closer to talk to me. Suddenly, my face was burning because of how close he was. "I know you're just worried about me, but can we not talk about this in the middle of the hallway? We can hang out after school and talk, okay?" he suggested, his fingers squeezing my shoulder as my face only got hotter. 

"So there is something bothering you?" I asked, despite him telling me not to worry. 

Derek smiled, this time more believable. "It's nothing too serious. I'll meet you after school, okay?" he assured me, though I didn't feel any better. I didn't have time to object to him leaving, because he was already walking away, leaving me standing in the middle of the hallway alone. I sighed, taking my things to my own locker to get things for class. The rest of the day passed painfully slow. I thought I'd see Derek at lunch, but he was no where to be seen. 

After school, I anxiously waited next to Derek's car for him to meet me. Finally, he walked out of the building, Lydia by his side as they talked seriously about something seemingly important. They both had serious looks on their faces anyways, so it was only right to assume it was something bad, or important. Or maybe I was just assuming because I was worried about Derek. 

"You're out here early today," Derek observed as he finally approached his car, twirling his keys on his finger. "Did you miss me?" he teased, as if he were back to his normal self. 

"Well I haven't spoken to you since Saturday morning, so yeah I did kind of miss you," I mumbled, hoping it wasn't too weird of me to say that. From the grin on Derek's face, I assumed it was fine.