Lesson #10: Play Hard to Get

School on Monday was absolutely nerve wracking, having to go the entire day without knowing if I had made the lacrosse team or not. If I didn't make it, my chances with Lydia went from zero, to negative. I would be an absolute joke to the entire school if I didn't make the team. At least now, I was just invisible. Once the team roster came out, if my name wasn't on it, that was over. 

"Stiles," Scott said, thumping my shoulder hard enough to send a shooting pain down my arm. I glared at him, scooting away from his violent hands. "Stop worrying. You're going to make the team, and if you don't, it's not a big deal. You've never played before, so no one is expecting you to be amazing at it."

I shook my head, staring down at my untouched lunch. "I have to make it," I mumbled, shoving my tray away. "If I don't, everything will be ruined."

"What are you talking about?" Allison wondered, trying to be supportive. She'd been hanging around with us every free second she had today, which was fine, but it was hard to talk to Scott about what was going on since Allison didn't, and couldn't, know. "You've been fine without sports before, haven't you?"

"I guess," I answered, trying to keep her in the dark about what was going on. "I just really want to make it."

She smiled warmly, reaching across the table to put her hand over mine. "I'm sure you will, Stiles." I returned the smile, but I didn't feel like talking anymore. Not until I knew for sure if I would have a chance with Lydia after today. If I didn't make it, Derek would probably tell me to forget about everything. Hopefully, he would still talk to me if this was over.

At the end of the day, once my nerves were all over the place, and I was sweating through my t-shirt with worry, I walked over to the gym with Scott. Allison tagged along behind us, happily blabbing about something that had happened today. Usually, I would have listened and given input, but I was too nervous about the lacrosse results. 

There was already a huddle of guys who had tried out in front of the locker rooms. Coach fought them back and put the list up before slipping back into his office, away from the madness. I didn't blame him. While everyone swarmed around the list, searching for their name, I stayed back and waited. My feet were stuck there, in that one spot. I felt a hand on my shoulder and was surprised to see it belonged to Isaac Lahey. 

"They're like animals," he joked, showing off his perfect smile. "I saw the way you moved at try outs, Stilinski. There's no way you didn't make the team." It was as if he could sense how nervous I was. He dropped his hand from my shoulder and went to check the list for himself. Scott followed him, while Allison stayed next to me. 

I watched Scott and Isaac stare at the list for a long time, neither of them saying anything or even looking at me. I was sweating in places I had never sweated before. Finally, Scott turned around wearing a lopsided grin. "Dude, you made the team!" he exclaimed, practically jumping into my arms as he strangled me in a congratulatory hug. "And you're starting, too!"

I felt a weight life off my shoulders. "Starting?" I repeated, trying to make sense of the word as if I had no idea what it meant. There was no way I was good enough to start. "That's-"

"Amazing," Isaac finished for me, clapping my shoulder with a grin on his face. "Congrats, Stilinski. I told you it would be fine."