Lesson #15: Switching Teams

About an hour after Derek fell asleep, I decided to sleep on the floor. There were a few reasons, but the main one was the kiss. I was afraid Derek would wake up and remember that he kissed me, and then things would get awkward fast. If I was on the floor when he woke up, Maybe he would think he had just dreamed it or something. Another reason was because Derek was a bed hog, so I was going to end up getting pushed off the bed anyways. 

The next morning, I was awake way before Derek. I thought about just leaving and going home to avoid any potential awkwardness, but then I remembered that Lydia had his car and he probably wanted it back. I was going to volunteer to take him because I really needed to talk to Lydia. I laid on the floor, scrolling through social media, until eventually Derek sat up in bed with a groan. "Good morning," I teased, setting my phone to the side so I could talk to him. 

"Mornin," he grumbled, rubbing his eyes groggily. "Why are you on the floor? I would have shared the bed," he said, finally looking at me with a confused stare. 

I waved him off, trying to determine how much he remembered. Clearly, he didn't remember that he actually did offer me the bed, so maybe he didn't remember the kiss either. "I didn't want to share the bed with a bedhog," I teased, making him smile. "I thought maybe once you get woken up, I'd take you over to Lydia's to pick up your car. Sound okay?"

He stretched his arms over his head, followed by a yawn. "Maybe we could get breakfast first?" he asked, throwing his legs over the side of the bed to finally get up. He looked incredibly adorable, even hung over. "I think I should probably eat something."

I laughed, standing up as he got out of bed. "I think you're probably right. Why don't you get dressed and meet me downstairs?"

"Okay," he agreed, slipping past me to get to his dresser. I held my breath to keep from blushing and hurried out of there before he could start stripping. 

Downstairs, I was met by Cora and Talia both, sitting the the kitchen table sipping coffee as they gossiped about some girls at school, who's names I recognized but didn't know. They stopped when they saw me, their eyes staring into mine suspiciously. "I wasn't aware you stayed over last night," Talia said, her eyes following me as I moved to sit at the other end of the table. "What time did you boys get in?"

Cora was smirking, but I ignored her. "Oh, not too late. Around midnight, probably," I answered, trying my best to keep Derek out of trouble. "Maybe earlier."

"Interesting," Talia remarked, taking a sip of coffee to hide her own smirk. I was saved from their questioning by Derek announcing his presence while coming down the stairs. 

"Stiles, I'm starving!" he complained, fighting with the shirt that was halfway over his head. He finally pulled it down over his torso and smiled awkwardly as his family. "You guys look suspicious," he noted, grabbing my arm to get me up from the table. "I don't even want to know why. Stiles and I are going to grab some breakfast. See you," he said, and then he dragged me out to my Jeep and we set off towards one of our favorite diners in town. 

"So," I started, once we were sitting in a booth and Derek had his cup of coffee in front of him. "Do you remember what happened last night?" I asked, trying not to pry too much, in case he didn't want to talk about it.