|7| Sorting

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

All of her friends stood in line, followed by Harry and Ron. And when Lyra stepped out to stand behind Ron, she was suddenly pulled aside. It was Zale who pulled her back.

"What do you —" before she could even finish the sentence, she heard Professor McGonagall's stern voice.

"Miss Bones, would you mind keeping your voice a little down?"

"I'm sorry, Professor, " Lyra apologized with an embarrassed smile and Professor McGonagall walked away to lead the way.

"What were you trying to do? I almost got into trouble"

"Nothing, just stand here. Don't you think you've forgotten something?"

"No, I— Wait. I forgot to thank you for the help you did."

"I didn't mean that," Zale sighed. "And, don't thank me. It was my duty to."

"Duty? What do you mean?" Lyra was confused.

"Ah, nothing. Just forget it"

"By the way, if you want your friends to worry about you, you can go on without removing the pieces of seaweed clinging to your hair," Zale said as he removed the seaweed from her hair. Then he took out a moleskin pouch and shook it, "And if you don't want your moleskin pouch, I don't mind keeping it as a reminder of us falling into the lake"

"Hey, give it back!" Lyra snatched back her pouch from the boy's hand and went on to join the line.

After that little incident, they followed Professor McGonagall as she led them out of the chamber, back across the hall, and through a pair of double doors into the Great Hall.

With great anticipation Lyra entered the great hall, only to be almost blinded by the magnificent sight. She saw the bewitched ceiling and the enormous hall. She took a deep breath in. Now she could understand why Hogwarts was known for its glorious sight and its mysteries.

The hall was lit by thousands and thousands of candles that were floating in mid-air over four long tables, where the rest of the students were sitting. These tables were laid with glittering golden plates and goblets. At the top of the hall was another long table where the teachers were sitting.

Professor McGonagall led the first years up here so that they came to a halt in a line facing the other students, with the teachers behind them. The hundreds of faces staring at them looked like pale lanterns in the flickering candlelight. Dotted here and there among the students, the ghosts shone misty silver.

Looking around the hall, Lyra saw many familiar faces (from the parties and balls she had to attend), though she couldn't remember many of their names. Then she saw Ron's twin brothers among the Gryffindor table, and when she caught their eye, they smiled and waved at her.