|6| The Giant Squid

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈

"We will be reaching Hogwarts in five minutes. Please leave your luggage on the train, it will be taken to the school separately."

Lyra looked out of the window and saw that the train was really slowing down and said, "Shall we get off then?"

"You mean right now? The train hasn't stopped yet!" Ron exclaimed.

Lyra facepalmed and glared at Ron for a bit, "Of course not right now! We must have reached our destination already and the train will stop in a bit of time, so it's better if we get out of our compartments, don't you think?"

"Uh... Yeah"

And the three of them got off once the train stopped. The people rushed and in the crowd, Lyra lost sight of both Harry and Ron. She couldn't see Susan and the others either. As she shivered in the cold, she suddenly felt her vision get blurry, her legs weaken and she couldn't hear anything. She stumbled a bit but she stabilised herself by leaning on the train a little.

Lyra took in a few deep breaths and felt her strength return. She looked around and saw that Hagrid led the first years somewhere and followed them.

"Yeh'll get yer firs' sight o' Hogwarts in a sec," Hagrid called over his shoulder, "jus' round this bend here."

The narrow path had opened suddenly onto the edge of a great black lake. Perched atop a high mountain on the other side, its windows sparkling in the starry sky was a vast castle with many turrets and towers.

Lyra froze at the magnificent sight. Only when she heard Hagrid say that there shouldn't be more than four in a boat did she recover from her stupor.

She looked for Harry's boat but he was near Hagrid's and smiled apologetically at her as there were already four people in it. Susan and the others were also in a boat.

Everyone had already gotten on the boats and only the last boat wasn't full. She looked at the last boat which was already occupied by two boys and sighed, "Can I ?"

The two boys nodded and Lyra got on. She noticed that the boy who looked shy was dressed very meticulously and the other boy dressed casually. The casually dressed boy gave off the impression that the muggle-borns usually gave off. Like they are very new to this magical world. But Lyra didn't think so. Somehow when she looked at his eyes, it gave her a sense of pressure. She had this kind of feeling only when she saw the ministry's Aurors.

But why would a boy of her age be trained? And they shouldn't use magic before the age of 11 right?

Just as she was pondering, she heard Hagrid shout "Everyone in? Right then — FORWARD!" and the fleet of boats started moving forward all at once.

Lyra stared at the great castle far ahead, still a little amazed as she heard a voice.

"Hello, I'm Zale Osmond. What are your names?" The casually dressed boy asked after introducing himself.