how could you. | saimami

Mwahahaha time for some angst!

Kaede, Rantaro, Shuichi, Tsumugi, and Maki all survived, but one of them is the mastermind.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We watched as all the votes went to Tsumugi, we had all made our mind that she was the mastermind, we were so certain it was her.

...

What?

I look at the others, they all had the same expression I had.

I heard Shuichi sigh, "Well, guess I can't keep this a secret now," he said, laughing. He looked at all of us, his red eyes glowing.

No way...

It can't be...

I look at the others again, they all look shocked. I looked back at Shuichi, who was holding a Monokuma, putting it in front of his face to "act" like him.

"Upupupu! You got it wrong! I'm sure we all know the rules if we get it wrong, yes?" He said, putting monokuma down. A wide grin was on his face, this wasn't the Shuichi that I knew during all those class trials. He was so kind, so caring, and he always helped in trials. I refuse to believe this is him, it can't be!

Kaede looked like she could break down and cry any moment now, she looked so broken... I feel so bad. I want to walk over to her to comfort her, but sadly I can't. Shuichi noticed his best friend crying, "Oh, yea, Kaede right? Thanks for helping me with the first trial, I thought I was doomed!" He said, laughing again. It angered me. How could he have forgotten his own best friend's name?!

I wanted to snap back, but I just couldn't bring myself to. It's like I have a soft spot for him or something, I just... can't.

"How could you forget your own best friend's name?! What happened to the Shuichi we know?! The one that's always kind and caring for others!" Maki yelled in anger.

Shuichi just laughed, "Why would I remember all of your names? You all are just people participating in my killing game, there's nothing special about all of you," he said, smiling. Does he think we're just ordinary people? Participating in his killing game?

"You..." Maki looked infuriated, she looked like she could strangle Shuichi if she could. Shuichi smiled innocently like he did nothing wrong.

"S-Shuichi... w-what ha-happened to o-our fri-friendship?" Kaede said through sobs, she was crying, not daring to look at her best friend.

"Oooh, that? Is that what you call it? We weren't friends or whatever you idiots call it. It was nothing special either or anything meaningful." He bluntly said, no sugar coating it at all. It shocked all of us, I already dislike this Shuichi, but I stayed quiet.

Shuichi didn't pay attention to Kaede anymore but looked at me now. I couldn't tell if he was disgusted at me or not. I'm hoping it's not the former option.

He blankly stared at me, I couldn't tell what he was thinking about. I got a bit worried, he still had the same, blank expression on his face while staring at me.

"S-Shuichi?" I ask. He seemed to have returned to reality, looking away. It felt like the old Shuichi when he would get embarrassed.

"A-Ahem... it's...~ punishment time~!" Shuichi said,
seconds ago he looked flustered but I guess he can change his emotions quickly.

Maki still looked mad and Kaede managed to get herself together. "I... guess this is where we all say goodbye..." Kaede said, wiping her tears with her sleeve, sniffling.

Maki gave Shuichi the death stare. "I swear to god, when I get reincarnated or survive your stupid execution, I will harm you in so many ways you wouldn't even survive," Maki said, even if it wasn't towards me, gosh that felt scary. Shuichi smiled, "Good luck with that then," he said. And just like that, the floor below us was gone. We were falling to our death now.

Well, I guess this is goodbye...

...

...

.

.

I fluttered my eyes open, slowly looking around. I saw Kaede and Maki. Slowly, I got up, walking over to the two, but it was too late. Both of them were dead. I looked away, not bearing to see the two lying there and knowing they're not alive anymore.

But...

Why didn't I die? Why did they die but not me?

"Well... now that those two are gone," I heard a voice say. I turn around, and there he is the mastermind.

"What do you mean those two are gone?! They were your friends, Shuichi! Your classmates!" I said, not caring anymore. "Oh shut it with your "friends" and "classmate" talk, I could laugh all day about it because of how stupid it is," Shuichi said, kicking Kaede's corpse to the side.

Pure disgust was all over my face, he should've just killed me already so I don't have to see his god damn face again.

"And the only reason I left you alive is that you're better than the others." He said, staring right at me.

Excuse me, what?

"Better?"

"You heard me."

I was shocked, what does he mean by that?

"I... actually enjoyed the time we had together..." he began, swaying side to side a bit. I listened without saying anything. "I... erm... forget about what I said," he said, backing away.

Before I could respond, I went out like a light bulb.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
900 words