Chapter 1

"Are you getting up anytime soon?"

I attempted to lift my heavy lids and I saw the sunlight showing through my lashes. I could feel John place his hands on my stomach and the skin beneath his touch began to tingle with anticipation. He had barely touched me over the last three months and while I tried to tell myself that it was normal in long term relationships for the sparks to die down a little, I still flinched excitedly when he laid a hand on me. I placed my hand on top of his and started to guide it up towards my breasts, noticing just how heavily I was breathing and how much I wanted him to touch me.

Just one more inch...

He pulled his hand away and laughed. "We don't have time for that, silly."

I groaned in frustration and looked up at him. He was propped up on one elbow, looking down at me. "You're going to be late, babe."

I looked over at the bedside table, and more importantly, the red lights of the digital clock. "I have about half an hour." I sighed. "I could get off at least twice, hop in the shower and get to the office before Pam even left the parking lot."

He chuckled and got out of bed. He walked towards the bathroom without another word.

Why did he think that I was joking?

I laid there a moment longer and heard him start the shower before realizing that I wasn't going to get off at all, let alone twice.

I rubbed a hand over my face and sighed before getting out of the bed and walking towards the closet. Pulling out one of the many pantsuits in my arsenal, I readied the outfit before following John's path into the bathroom. He stood beneath the shower head and was running his hands through his hair in an attempt to wash the soap out.

I stared at him a while before stripping and stepping in behind him. I wrapped my arms around him and stood on my toes to plant kisses on his shoulders. He grabbed my wrists and the excitement from earlier returned. It quickly dropped again when he walked away from me and stepped out of the shower, leaving me wanting...

...per the usual...

I sighed and turned down the heat until I was shivering beneath the spray. 

                                                                               ~~~~~~~~~~

Balancing the daily lattes and my bag, I stepped out of the elevator and walked towards my desk.

"How was your weekend?" Sophia asked as I passed her station. She was a temp and seemed to pop up all over the office thanks to the recommendations of everyone that she had worked for. I did notice that I had been passing her in the same spot every day for a month already, which must have meant that she was becoming more of a permeant fixture.

"Same old, same old." I replied. "We stayed in and watched a movie."

"That sounds...tragic." She laughed. "You should have come out with us. There is a new club that everyone has been talking about."

It definitely did sound tragic. Especially when my weekends had been filled with so much more until..."Are you done testing out the other desks up here?"

"Smooth subject change, Adrianna." She laughed. "Yeah, I think I'm done as long as Mrs. Tate keeps me on." She looked around to see whether or not anyone else was listening before she continued. "I honestly don't think that her assistant is coming back."

"Is she that bad?"

Sophia shrugged. "I'm going to text you this weekend when we go to that club...I hope you actually show up this time."

I smiled and walked over to the my station. Pam hadn't made it in yet, just as I had expected. I walked through the glass door and into her office, placing one of the lattes on her desk before leaving her space and heading back to my own. After prepping my computer, I leaned back in my chair and took a sip of my own coffee.

Pam rounded the corner then, juggling a stack of documents and a coffee of her own unsuccessfully. The documents slipped and fell to the ground and she looked up at the ceiling with a grunt. "God, why have you forsaken me?"

Stifling a giggle, I stood quickly and walked over to help her pick up the pile. I held the door open for her and she walked through it, sitting at her desk with a huff.

"I'm late for my conference call, all for coffee, and the bitch at the counter still gave me the wrong order." She sighed. "Now I have to try to get these back in order before I call in late to get my ass chewed, again."

I placed the paperwork, that I had picked up for her, on the corner of her desk and held my hand out. She took the hint and handed over the coffee cup. "I know that I can't turn back time or make your morning any better, but I did get you your coffee so you will at least have your drink of choice when you get your ass chewed." I pointed to the cup that I had set there earlier.

She took a deep breath. "This is the best part of my morning so far." She closed her eyes and ran a hand over her face. "I am so glad that I hired you."

"I'm glad you hired me as well." I smiled. "If you need anything, let me know."

"Just a connection to the conference call and patch it through for me." She smiled. "Thank you, Adrianna."

I left the office and placed the discarded coffee in the wastebasket, before taking my seat again. I found the conference line number in the saved numbers on the office phone and dialed in. Once I heard it ring, I patched it through to Pam and watched her breathe in deep before picking up the line.

I lifted the receiver and pressed the mute button so that no one could hear me. While I had missed the beginning of the conversation, the next sentence definitely caught my attention.

"Pam, I think that we need to rethink your position here in this company."

When I looked up at Pam, we both had the same look of surprise on our faces.

Shit, I guess that means I'm fired too.