Tubbo, Toby

It isn't exactly a pretty story, Toby's upbringing that is. Well... 'upbringing' is an overstatement, in this case. Toby was the son of a young girl you see, a mum of only 14 who was unfortunate enough in her case to fall pregnant in her rough stages of life. That was all you really need to know about Toby's parents, except that his dad was also some young kid just trying to get by. Elaine, the mother, never thought it necessary to tell the father about the pregnancy but 8 months later after a lot of deception toby was born.

Elaine, then 15, birthed toby at home with her single mother without informing anyone else of this fact.

This worked out well, for a few years that is. Toby, the little premature born child, was a neglected boy. Without any legal confirmation of his birth or any stable authority, with a less than happy home life with his mum and nana, he was left behind in development. This was clear at the age of 5 when he struggled to form coherent letters on a sheet of a4 whilst his classmates were working on basic math. Not to mention his speech development.

"Toby, are you listening to me? Look, here see what I wrote?" His reception teaching assistant said in an exhausted manner. "Huh? What'd you wroted?" He attempted a reply, and that's how this went on. With his slow development academically and lack of nurture at home, Toby was left. Left, being an eventual 7 year old child, stuck in his own mind.

--

"Kid! Get in here!" Elaine shouted from the living room.

Toby, stunned, quickly rose and walked quickly towards his mother.

"What's this? This mess? You're not a baby anymore this is not my job to clean up your mess" She spat out harshly.

"Uhh, s'rry mum, I did tidied but I forgot to wash m' bowl" He slurred in his childish dialect. Eyes darting around the room in shame, how could he ask this of his own mum? How could he leave his own mess all over their shared house?

"You better get it cleaned! Honestly, could you be more useless?" She spoke at him, but really speaking to herself. She stormed away.

Toby hurriedly moved to fix his supposed mistakes with his small hands shaking in both fear and utter shame.

There was a knock at the door that rung around the whole house. A firm hand, with 3 loud bangs Toby quickly turned to face the door and look between the entrance and the diretion which his mother stormed away to. "Toby get the fucking door already." Elaine projected.

This caused him to hurry in the direction of the knocking, and he tentatively opened the door to a man of around 6"2 with a stocky build and strong beard.

"Um, 'ello?" Toby questioned, refusing to look the man in the eye whilst shuffling his feet anxiously. "Yeah, where is she? Elaine? She said to come here, I've not got all day kid." He said sternly. "I'm Tubbo... To-" The man moved to the side and brushed past him "Yeah yeah alright". At that Toby sighed.

--

Despite this, Toby was an optimistic boy. His creative side flourishing where his academic side fell short. In the confides of his small room the world was his oyster. His collection of items were quite limited but all had significant meaning to the boy. Having not had affectionate or caring parents he was provided with very little items; a few shirts, a pair of shorts, his tatted school uniform, and a pair of second (or third) hand shoes from the lost and found box at his school.

Oh- also his bee. a small eraser that he had won one day in his school fair. It was of a cheap quality, light blue with a printed picture of a bee on the face, with a small chain attached on the top. This was his bee, his hope. The bee was his friend. His only friend, as he was a kid that struggled in social situations.

"Bee, look! Bee... We gots the biggest cake! All for you, Bir'day bee!" Tubbo squealed excitedly. The bee buzzed in his hand as it responded, all in his mind of course. "I know! Is so cool! No, mummy nev'r gots me a big one but it's ok... This ones spec'ial" He beamed innocently, blissfully unaware of the true sadness of his statement.

The bee never buzzed back. His smile fell.

He got up and walked towards the imaginary cake, an old shirt balled up to form a hill like structure. Tubbo grabbed his imaginary knife and cut the imaginary cake. "I lov' it bee" He smiled in imaginary joy.

--

Author's Note-
The learning delay that Tubbo expresses in this chapter is a cause of abuse and neglect. It is very real and it happens to a lot of kids. This is in no way related to Tubbo's real life (The fat that he has dyslexia) and I'm not trying to assume anything by this... It is a work of fiction :)

-WLYM king of being allergic to bees