Cross Our Bones

The Library

"We cross our bones for miracles and pray we get better." - Crown The Empire

🌊🏔🔥🌪

Gold. No, not quite gold. Amber. When Sokka realized just how hard it was to look anywhere other than Aelita's eyes he was sure amber was his new favorite color.

"Hey." Her voice snapped him out of his daydream. "Are you even listening to me?"

"Of course." Not. "We were talking about the best way to approach the Fire Nation Capital." That much he knew for sure, but she could've told him she was a purple platypus for all he had been paying attention to her words.

"I still call bullshit." She reached up and flicked him lightly on the forehead before pointing back down at the map of her home country between them. "Anyway, coming from the west is the fastest route to the capital from just about anywhere in the Earth Kingdom, but, if we have a fleet following us that will take the ships straight to the Great Gates of Azulon." She showed him the place where the blockade of steel and fire closed off the bay.

"That's the thing though." He said as he rubbed his head. "As of right now, we don't have a fleet."

"I know." Aelita sighed. While the other three were off spirits knew where she and Sokka had been talking battle. Sure, she and Aang knew that they had to deal with Ozai before the comet's arrival at the end of summer, but that time was creeping up on them faster than anyone wanted to admit and they still didn't have an actual plan for how exactly to go about it. "Chief Arnook promised to spare what troops and boats he could, but even the North Pole's resources are spread thin on relief missions right now. We need ships, men, and weapons from the Earth King."

"The Earth Kingdom has always had one of the largest militaries in the world, but they've historically never deployed any of their core battalions directly from Ba Sing Se."

"I know. The majority of their troops are congregated behind the walls, but even when Iroh laid siege on the city they never ventured far into the open." She explained. "Their companies that have seen the front lines have all always been whoever was stationed closest to the battlefields and unlucky civilians that got caught in the crossfire. This would be the first time anyone has ever taken the fight to the Fire Nation."

"Which means we'll need a damn good plan to back us up or the whole Earth Kingdoms just gonna laugh in our face," Sokka told her.

"We don't need the entire Kingdom, just the King." Aelita tried to stay positive, unfortunately, it didn't last long. "But the last world leader I met wasn't too keen to work with anyone from the Fire Nation when he first met me." She sighed. "I'm worried word will get out what we did to Fong and no one will trust me. It's a miracle I haven't been taken into custody yet."

"Technically you already have once, but we'll blame that one on Aang." He teased in an attempt to make light of the bleak situation. "And if I recall you joined a prison gang, and you promised to write them."

"They were lovely people."

"You would thrive behind bars." Sokka couldn't stop his smile when she started laughing, but he couldn't deny he had thought the same thing before. They all worried about the reception Aelita would face from the rest of the world, but so far it seemed like word of her efforts during the Siege had spread far and wide. He just hoped it was enough to keep her safe and right where she belonged, with them. "I promise, no matter what I'll never let anyone treat you the way they first did in the North Pole ever again."

The look in Sokka had in those ocean eye of his told Aelita he was telling her the truth. Maybe that's why cerulean blue was quickly starting to become her favorite color. It was a shame neither fighter would allow themselves to enjoy the moment of calm for too long. Their young shoulders had grown far too heavy.