Dark As A Dungeon

The Cave of Two Lovers

"It's dark as a dungeon, damp as the dew, the danger is double and the pleasures are few." - Dolly Parton 

🌊 🔥 🌪

"You guys are gonna be done soon, right?" Sokka asked without even bothering to open his eyes. "We've got a lot of ground to cover if we wanna make it to Omashu today." He encouraged but his words showed far more urgency than his current state. The bulk of his clothes had long since been discarded as he floated lazily on a large mandarin leaf. His hands and feet dangled down into the cool waters of the river the team had set up camp along the night before, his hair free of its normal ties as it sprawled over his eyes like a shield from the afternoon sun. Momo was curled peacefully on the warrior's bare chest, Appa almost totally submerged in the refreshing waters.

"What, like you're ready to go right now, naked guy?" Katara teased with her hands on her hips. She stood ankle-deep in the water across from a shirtless Aang, the sun warm on her skin bare everywhere that her underskirt and sarashi wrappings left uncovered.

"I can be ready in two minutes." Sokka countered, brushing the hair from his face to look at his sister. "Seriously, whenever."

"Yeah right." Aelita snorted. "The only things you ever do quickly eat, run your mouth, and embarrass yourself." She sat along the edge of the bank in a black underskirt and bralette while she enjoyed the warm climate. Mushu laid beside her snacking on berries while she held her left arm in her lap, working shining blue waters around the spot where the bone had been broken.

"You know you're really lucky you're already hurt or I'd dunk you."

"Oh no, a waterbender underwater, tragic."

"Sometimes I really hate you."

"Sokka quit distracting her." Katara scolded. "And Aelita, focus on your arm." She rolled her eyes when the two oldest of the group stuck their tongues at one another like children. "Once I finish up with Aang I'll help you wrap up and tie your splint."

"She never lets us have any fun Mushu, does she?" The grey-haired girl asked her furry friend. He of course didn't respond but instead yawned after finishing his snack and sprawled out on his back for a nap, fully belly in the air. "It's a good thing your lazy ass is cute."

"So you were showing me the octopus form." Aang brought the focus back to his lesson.

"Right." Katara smiled her breathtaking smile as she looked at the monk. "Let me see your stance." She studied the boy as he braced himself low and held his hands out just a little too far to his sides. She crossed the space between them and stood just behind his shoulder. "Your arms are too far apart." She explained as she pushed his elbows in tighter to his body. "See, if you move them closer together you protect your center. You got it?"

Aelita was the only one paying attention enough to notice the tinge of pink that flushed through Aang's cheeks. She had to chuckle at how the fact that was both oblivious to just how much the other was infatuated with them. She couldn't help but wonder if that had been the way she and Zuko had once been. Wherever he and Iroh were she just hoped they were okay.

"Oh, yeah." Aang stammered at the close contact, Katara's breath warm behind his ear. "Thanks."

"Okay then." Katara grinned as she moved back to her original spot. "Let's see what you got." Bending the water around him Aang was soon surrounded by eight tentacle-like streams that he used to block and catch the shards of ice Katara sent hurtling his way. When her guard was down one of the streams wrapped tightly around her leg. He nailed it. "You make a fine octopus, Pupil Aang." She complimented. The boy made her laugh when his serious demeanor faded and he bent a wave large enough to dump Sokka off his leaf and into the water, only feeling bad for Momo.