Chapter 1 - Pain & Comfort

(3rd Person POV)

Returning to the present Karl gasped for air, his eyes snapping open in a moment of shock. He was used to being abruptly cut off from the timeline, but this time it was different. As his brain readjusted itself, examining the terrain, Karl's eyes began to tear up, struggling to keep himself from an absolute breakdown, he stumbled back as his hand flew up and slapped onto his mouth. His memory was foggy but he still managed to maintain the last scene he witnessed before the transportation to the in-between. 

"Shit-- no, no, no, no, no!" he repeated almost religiously, hoisting himself up into his secret library and sprinting out. With concern and deep seeded fear, he stood scanning the area searching for something, his desperation evident as he didn't immediately write about his trip or in his diary. Karl knew he should write down what he experienced before he forgot, but that was the least of his problems right now. Karl wanted to remember the pain, Karl needed to remember the hurt and be soothed by the knowledge that everything would be okay. But for that to be true he had to find him, he had to know that this wasn't the end. 

"Oh hey it's Karl! Where have you been?" Sapnap called over while George and Dream stood beside him. From the looks of things they had just finished grinding mobs all day, all wearing their signature outfits, though a bit scratched up.  Sapnap squealed a bit absolutely ecstatic to see his fiancé who hadn't been around for a while. Karl on the other hand was still focused, not having payed attention to Sapnap, though once his eyes finally graced the group he froze. The dread that was stuck in the pit of his stomach lifted, and his eyes could no longer contain the tears. 

"Oh what-- Is everything all right? Karl what's wrong?" Sapnap stuttered out confused, he held out his arms in a defensive way, trying to understand why Karl was crying all of a sudden. George raised a brow, not understanding the situation at all, Dream tilted his head to the side as the porcelain mask slid a bit to follow its direction. Karl croaked out a small sob, running towards the group while reaching his arms out.

'Please let this be real! Oh god please just let it be all okay!'  his mind continued to plead as he reached the green hooded man. Karl clenched his hands not wanting to let go, fearing that the man before him might disappear if he dare let go. He pressed his head against Dream's chest, closing his eyes letting the tears continue to fall at a rapid pace. Dream stood there with his hands up, shocked at the sudden embrace. Karl trembled as he cried, it was a quiet cry but somehow it made the sight sadder. Everything was okay now. Dream's scent calmed Karl's mind, he listened closely to the sound of Dream's heartbeat as he stuck close to the slightly taller male, much to the confusion of everyone around him. He didn't care though. All Karl needed was to feel Dream's presence, to know that he was there and he was alive. 

"Wha... ahhhh K-Karl? Hey I-- ah, think you might of missed there hehe." Sapnap awkwardly chuckled, his expression a mix of confusion and hurt. George looked about the exact same with a sprinkle of anger added in. Dream hesitantly lowered his arms slowly, he wasn't planning on letting this happen, he's comforted Karl a countless number of times but never in public. Especially not in front of Sapnap, his childhood friend and the smaller mans fiancé. 

"Shit..." Dream didn't return the affection quite yet, he was worried this might come off as strange and may create a rift within his friend group. Dream watched as Karl held onto him, in response, George mouthed a wordless 'What the fuck Dream?' which Dream could only reply with a shaky sigh. Sapnap, wanting nothing more then to comfort his clearly distraught fiancé, tried to place a reassuring hand on Karl's shoulder. This action was quickly interrupted by Dream catching Sapnaps arm and apologetically saying it wouldn't be a good idea.

"And what the hell would you know Dream!? What is this-- why, is there..." Sapnap jumped from word to word trying to form a sentence, only to fail feeling himself becoming more and more emotional, while George seethed at the scene. Dream took a small breath deciding to ignore the two for now, he leaned down a bit and slipped his hands into his pockets. 

"Shhhhh, it's okay now. Everything will be just fine, you're okay. Can I hug you back?" Dream asked in a hushed tone, low enough that George and Sapnap couldn't hear him. Karl felt more at ease hearing Dreams voice, he felt safe and comfortable, Karl nodded slowly. Dream reached his arms around the petite male in a soft way, being cautious feeling he might hurt Karl if he made any sudden movements. Karl responded fully hugging Dream hiding his face in the masked man's shoulder, Dream started to stroke Karl's brown hair thinking that he could ask Karl what was wrong after he had calmed down and got some rest. 

The two bystanders found this all awfully irritating, George could see how Dream's eyes softened when he looked at Karl but never thought anything of it until now. Sapnap tensed up, his mind running around in circles trying to understand, maybe it was just a friend thing, even then he felt like he should have been the one Karl would have gone to first. Dream's attention returned to the two, pulling Karl in a bit closer, and a little tighter, he knew what would come from this kind of display and didn't want Karl to hear them. 

All hell would break loose.