Chapter 3 - Remembrance & Oddity

A confusing feeling something more platonic than romantic, without a name. 

_

A moment of silence passed, Dream was tempted to pull his hand away, feeling as though he was betraying his best friend. Karl could see the hesitation in Dream's eyes, letting go of Dream's hand but leaving his own just next to the other's, not wanting to make him uncomfortable. Dream grabbed his mask, putting it back on - having it cover a small part of his face - he had already thrown his hoodie at the edge of the bed, wearing only army green cargo pants and a black tight-fitting turtleneck singlet. Karl's head hung low in shame, he hurt Sapnap, and that was the last thing he ever wanted to do; 'It was your fault, Sapnap will never forgive you. You should've died, why can't you just fix it!' Dream swiped a thumb at the edge of Karl's eye, wiping a tear that threatened to fall.

"It isn't your fault." he snapped Karl out of his own self-loathing cycle "You were confused and emotional, I know you weren't trying to cause a misunderstanding. So, don't blame yourself." Dream advocated, knowing that Karl was in a vulnerable state before, and still partially was. Karl only nodded a bit, his mind calming down.

"Even if you say that," Karl's fingers curled, clenching the sheets that covered him "I overreacted. Now Sapnap and-- oh god, George was there too. Dream, I'm so sorry, I ruined it again." he could only be apologetic, he knew how fond Dream was of George. Though it might have bothered him - for some unknown reason it made his heart ache every time he saw how close they were, but that was just because he liked affection - he never wanted to hurt their relationship. 

"You're spiralling again, just listen to me for a second. We'll be fine." confidence and arrogance, a fine line that Dream tended to tip toe around endlessly. Dream might be a jerk with a god-complex, but he always dealt with Karl's breakdowns, and risked his own safety to help him 'That's only because you hold so much knowledge, he's just using you' Karl had already thought those words a number of times and Dream would always confirm them. 

"For someone so powerful, you give yourself little credit. Honestly, a good lie can't solve everything but it can solve this little problem of ours. You worry too much." another remark that had Karl with a goofy smile plastered on his face. Standing to stretch, he went to crack his knuckles moving to the side of the bed, looking over Dream released a small chuckle at the sight of the younger looking down at him somewhat curious.

"Hmm, cute." Dream muttered whilst collecting a few things from his bedside desk, catching Karl's attention. 

"Oh? You think I'm cute, do you?" he teased, the other replying with a scoff while rolling his eyes. 

"Hmm, maybe. Still not cuter than me though." poking fun, he flicked Karl's forehead, lightening up the mood with a joke.

"Of course not, Dreamy~" clearing his throat he gave a small smile, and Karl's heart swelled at the affection he spotted in those emerald eyes "Anyways, here. To write down the events of today." Dream's voice was much less caring than before, it showed in the way he spoke. Karl gave a little giggle at the stern gesture - taking the two books and pen out of Dream's hands, flushing slightly when their hands made brief contact with each other. He sat up - Dream hovered a hand near his back in a supporting manner. Retracting his arm, Karl leaned against the bed frame with a feeling of relief, this was all real. 

"Thank you, Dream." Karl's words were genuine, reaching a hand up to cup Dream's cheek before turning and beginning to write. While Karl recounted the past, Dream exited the room giving the boy some privacy, he placed a hand on the cheek Karl's hand was just on and felt his face heat up at the gentle gesture, however his heart was heavy with guilt and nostalgia.