Chapter 4 - A memory & A betrayal

In a field of golden wheat, a small child crouched low to the ground; hiding from his foe, he listened closely to the footsteps approaching, analysing where they came from. Suddenly the wind picked up, and the footsteps became quieter- more untraceable. The child whipped his head around to search for the predator only to be met with a huge weight pushing him back onto the ground, wheezing he was pinned flat in seconds. 

"HEH! How was that so easy?!" Another, slightly taller child, complained with a loud cheer as small smirk graced his lips. The defeated brunette puffed his cheeks in annoyance while looking away, relaxing while mumbling to himself. The pink haired kid looking down at the other child waited for the other to surrender, his expression brightened menacingly "I won. Come on Dream, admit it." 

"Unfair Techno! That was- you cheated, you wouldn't have caught me if we were finding on flat ground!" Dream tried to use excuses to cover up his bruised little 10 year old ego. Techno simply scoffed before letting Dream go, a small stretch helping the losing party to his knees. 

"Yeah right. You need to adapt to any situation, not my fault you suck at this. Nerd." he mocked with a hearty laugh. Techno sat up, shifting  under the sunlight, his family would want him back before dark - especially his sister. Glancing towards the ashy brown haired boy Techno rolled over, and laid back onto the soft crops that swayed with the wind. The calm of it all lulled him to stay and sleep, but he couldn't do that, not so out in the open at least. 

"Some people aren't used to life or death situations,Techie~" Dream huffed leaning back, his arms placed behind him to keep him steady while his legs crossed. 

"Ew stop using that cringe nickname already. Weirdo." Techno protested shaking his head as Dream burst out in a fit of  laughter.

"Bahahhaha blame your sister not me." He leaned forward being a bit overdramatic with the his reaction, Technoblade couldn't help but chuckle, his sister just had to call him that dumb nickname in front of Dream. 

As the small warriors calmed down they enjoyed the stillness of their surroundings, the blue sky, the white clouds and smell of freshly baked goods. The bakery nearby truly were magical: it was a nice and peaceful day, which neither of them were very used to. After a while of watching clouds going by, and making fun of each other's imagination - or lack thereof on Technoblade's part; they got into another scuffle, with Technoblade winning once more.

"I'm not saying you're terrible at this, but uhhh." Dream rolled his eyes before grabbing Techno's wrist. He readied for another attack but only got a light tug instead, Techno lowered his guard seeing that his victory was already secured.

"Whatever! Let's just get to the festival before Pandas and George figure out I'm not at the ship." Techno sighed as Dream dragged him towards the capitals inner gates. They were used to the secrecy of their friendship, they resorted to sparring in the woods and playing in the fields to avoid unnecessary discrimination towards hybrids. Dream wasn't exactly welcome, but his mother made sure anyone who scorned him would pay the price. Technoblade on the other hand, he was from the nether which made the discrimination ten times worse. Techno remembered before they reached the gates to throw his hood on, halting abruptly he yanked Dream back, making Dream stumble into him as a result, almost causing the two to fall. 

"Woah-- Techno watch out-- You already won geez!" Dream complained, Techno shut him up by slipping Dream's mask over his face. The small boy had been wearing it to the side, and had forgotten to put it back on. Dream blinked rapidly at the sudden change shaking his head a bit as he realised what was going on.

"Bruh, are you trying to get me murdered for 'kidnapping' Captain Puffy's precious child?" Techno's thick layer of sarcasm made Dream giggle, he squeezed Techno's hand; his way of thanking him. Technoblade didn't stop Dream any more than that, they slid through the crack in the wall, and back into the hustle and bustle of the crowd. The previous peace broke into a more festive feeling, Dream kept a tight hold of Techno's hand as they walked - Technoblade felt uncomfortable being around so many people recently and Dream knew that. But the unease was likely because of the close call with the knights last time.