Chapter 13

Lyria

"Excuse me!" I shouted, barging into Cal's room. Over the past few days, we'd overcome our differences and decided to be friends. I figured that meant I could barge into his room if I wanted.

Or not.

I froze in the doorway, staring at a scowling, shirtless Cal. His black hair was wet and sticking up every which way, so I assumed he'd just finished showering.

"Don't you know how to knock?" He asked.

"Don't you know how to put on a shirt?" I replied snarkily.

"Don't you know people don't normally barge into other people's rooms?"

"Of course I do. But I'm not normal."

He muttered something under his breath that sounded like You got that right. I rose an eyebrow, impatiently tapping my foot and looking around his room. It was large, bigger than the one I'd been staying in. 2 doors that probably led into the bathroom and a closet. Large windows stood opposite the doorway I was standing in. A huge bed took up half the space. The other half had a small sitting area with couches, a table, and a fireplace. Bookshelves framed a desk, and a few paintings added color to the otherwise monotone room. 

When my gaze landed on Cal, he had (thankfully) put on a shirt. Not that I didn't enjoy the view. He leaned against his bed and said, "What's so urgent you had to come in here?"

"Oh, right." I pinned him with a glare. "How come I've never heard of Starfall before today? I was in Velaris, and people were decorating for something! So I asked, and apparently, Starfall is tonight! What the hell? I don't have anything to wear!"

He stared at me for a sec. "That's what you came in here for? Starfall?"

I frowned. "What? Is it not important?"

He shook his head. "No, it's an amazing event. That just wasn't what I was expecting."

"Well, what were you expecting?"

"I thought it would have something to do with humiliating Camilla. Or something like that."

"I never thought about that. But thanks for the idea!"

Cal groaned. "Great, I shouldn't have said anything."

"Speaking of Camilla, what has she been up to? I haven't seen her around much."

"She's on house arrest for the time being."

I nodded absentmindedly and walked closer to a painting. "Did you paint this?"

"Yes. My mom loves to paint. She taught me when I was younger."

I smiled at the thought of a young Cal covered in paint. "My mother taught me how to play the pianoforte. Well, more like she forced me to. I was never interested in the arts."

"Well, what are you interested in?" Cal seemed truly curious, so I answered honestly.

"I love reading. And shopping. And you know I love chocolate. I've always been interested in traveling overseas. Staying in a stuffy palace has never sounded like fun. I get out and fly as much as I can. What about you?"

Cal shrugged. "Painting, flying, helping friends and family. You said you like shopping? I know a bit about making clothes."

My eyes widened. "You do?"

He nodded. "My grandmother was a seamstress. She made a lot of my mother's dresses. My father knows a little, and he taught me."

"Cool! Do you think there are any dresses I could wear for Starfall? Or will I have to go all the way into town to buy one?"