Chapter 14

Callum

Lyria gazed in awe at the falling stars. There was something beautiful in the way I could see her emotions play out on her face. No masks or snarky comments hid what she was really feeling. And as I watched her, I realized I wanted her to be more than just a friend. I felt a tug towards her that I couldn't really identify.

Her voice jolted me out of my thoughts. "This happens every year?"

I nodded.

Lyria sighed. "It's beautiful."

So are you, I thought. My mind caught up to my mouth, and I caught myself before saying that. Instead, I said, "Where we are right now is the best view of Starfall. Sometimes my parents will come up here and watch."

"Why aren't they here right now?" 

"They said we could have it for the night."

She faced the balcony rail, looking at the sky. "That's a lot of stars."

"They're not actually stars. They're spirits that migrate every year. My mother's first Starfall, she and my dad both got hit by a falling star-spirit. They said the splatter made them glow."

Lyria's eyes widened. "We could potentially be hit? And have spirit guts on us? Ew!"

I laughed. "It hasn't happened to me yet."

There was a twinkle of mischief in her eyes. She stared at something behind me. "Are you sure?"

I turned, and a glowing ball of light slammed into my face. As I doubled over, there was a ringing in my ears along with Lyria's chiming laughter. 

"Gah!" I yelled as I wiped glowing guts out of my eyes. I could see Lyria found it hilarious. She was laughing so hard she had to hold on to the railing for support. "It's not funny!"

"It...kind of...is!" She wheezed. "You...should see...your face!"

I scowled and continued wiping away the greenish goop. I could see my hands glowing in the dim light. Smiling as an idea popped into my head, I ran towards Lyria with my hands out. She shrieked and jumped back.

"I don't want guts all over me! Get away from me!"

Now we were both laughing. Lyria's wings opened, a shadow against her back. I jumped into the air after her and gave chase. She was using her wind powers to speed her up and slow me down. I smiled. Two could play at that game. I winnowed right in front of her and caught her as she rammed into me. 

"Hey! Not fair!" She shouted as I covered her in spirit guts. Streaks of glowing green coated her arms, and a little bit had gotten on her nose.

We were close enough I could smell her scent. Pine and smoke were twined together to make an earthy, woody scent. My gaze darted to her lips, our breath mingling in the small space between us. I was distantly aware we were still in the air, but all I could focus on was that small bit of glowing dust on her face. I leaned in closer and-

"Cal! There you are!"

Lyria tensed and pulled away. We turned and saw Camilla standing on the balcony we had previously been on. Fuck. What does that bitch want now?

I flew down and landed, schooling my face into neutrality. Inside, I was seething. Of course, she had to interrupt. Lyria's face had shut down, no longer portraying her emotions.

"Guess what? Your parents let me see this beautiful event! You know, in the Spring Court..."

Camilla's voice faded into the background. All I could see was Lyria's retreating figure and the cool glance she threw over her shoulder. I sighed. Dammit.