Chapter 6

Lyria

I knew to look for advantages and assess my disadvantages. My mother and father taught me all they knew. Cassian was stronger than me. If he got me pinned, then it'd be difficult for me to get out from under him. I was faster and lighter. Better for quick attacks. He also underestimates me. I've trained for battle since I could walk. Cassian doesn't think I'll be able to defeat him. I'll give him a run for his money.

We circle each other. He seems like the type of person to strike first, and sure enough, he lunges and swings. I easily dance away. He spins around and snarls. I smirk at him. Again, he swings his sword. Instead of dodging, I slip under his arm and bring up a dagger. I cut across his ribcage and roll away.

"First blood, Lyria." someone shouts. I think it might be Rhysand.

I can tell Cassian is reassessing. This time, I come in first. He steps aside and brings his blade down. I block it. What I don't see is the small dagger in his hand. He slashes my leg, and I curse myself for not seeing it. I duck under his arm and go for a wing. Immediately, I see one of his biggest weaknesses. 

I remember Rhysand telling me that Illyrian wings were sensitive. They were very protective of them. Unlike me, they can't make them disappear. I have a new goal now. Make him go on the defensive. Target his wings. 

We both take a few more swings at each other. Soon, we're breathing heavily. "You're better than I thought," Cassian grunts.

"I know," I sweep my leg under him, and he easily jumps it. Using the extra momentum from that, I arc my dagger towards his right wing. He moves to defend it, leaving his left side exposed. I quickly kick the back of his knee, and he grunts as he hits the ground. He freezes as I put a dagger to his throat. 

"Concede?" I ask.

He doesn't answer and instead pulls my leg. I fall to the ground, and the pins me. One arm has a blade to my throat, and the other holds one of my arms up. That arm holds one of my long daggers. The other one dropped when I fell.

"Concede?" He asks.

I smile at him, then knee him in the groin. He lets out a surprised grunt and falls to the side. Now I have him pinned. There's a blade at his throat and his manhood.

I whisper, "Now, do you concede?"

He nods, and I stand up. I hold out a hand to help him up. Out of the corner of my eye, I see coins flashing in the sun as they are passed from hand to hand. Everyone walks towards us.

Rhsyand smiles. "I have to say, thank you for losing Cass. You earned me a lot of money."

Cassian scowls. "It won't happen again."

Amren turns to me. "Where'd you learn to fight like that, girl?"

"My parents and friends."

"I thought your friends were kings and queens. Why would they need to know how to fight?"

I raised my eyebrows. "My father was a fae prince. But he will always be a fighter. My mother was a princess, but her parents were killed. She was taken in by someone who taught her how to fight."

Amren nods and doesn't press further. We turn as someone walks outside. It's a gorgeous fae female with long golden curls and warm brown eyes. Azriel stares as she stops in front of us. She glances at me but doesn't ask questions. 

Rhys says. "Mor, you're back! We didn't expect you until tonight."

Mor smiles. "I decided to surprise you. It seems like you have some surprises of your own. Besides, I figured we should have some family time before our life turns to hell."

The mood shifts and everyone looks considerably less friendly. "What does that mean?" I ask.

Feyre sighs, "We will be hosting a guest for a few weeks."

"I take it you don't really like this guest?"

She nods. "You could say that." 

"Who is it?"

"Her name is Camilla." 

"And she is?"

"Daughter of High Lord Tamlin and Heir to the Spring Court."

I know that's kind of a cliffhanger. I'll try to update soon. Thank you for reading! Please be sure to vote and comment!