Prologue

Author's Note: This is a continuation of Coming of Dawn, picking up ten years after the final chapter! We hope you enjoy! :D

Also, I want to give my thanks to my sister, Kit-Kat-of-Midgard, who modified a picture of Anakin to make Aniya for the front cover. :P

~ Amina Gila

WARNING: This book contains spoilers from The Approaching Storm.

Aniya Skywalker

"Ani." The single word is quiet, yet clear. It tears at my heart, pulling open the endless memories I've struggled so long to suppress, to force away. An image slowly forms in my mind. Mom. She's lying somewhere, injured badly. Tears fill my eyes, threatening to spill down my cheeks but I stubbornly hold them back. I want to move forwards, but I can't. Dread overwhelms me. Somehow, I just know what's about to happen.

"Mom," I gasp out.

"Ani." It's slightly louder, though strained, as if she's using all her remaining strength, and her gaze is on me. "I'm so proud of you, Ani." She's dying. I can feel it. She's injured badly, though I don't know what caused it. Someone hurt her, and they will pay for it. But right now, that's far from my top concern.

I lurch forwards, trying to go to her. Something's holding me back as the icy tendrils of panic grip me. Tears spill down my cheeks as I struggle against it, trying in vain to free myself.

"Mom..."

"Ani, I... love... you..." She collapses back against the floor, and a sob escapes me.

"No!" I cry out, jerking again, only to have the scene fade from sight.

I jolt awake, eyes darting around the darkened room. I'm in my bedroom at the Temple, not somewhere – wherever that was – watching Mom die in front of me. It only makes me feel slightly better. It didn't feel like a nightmare. It was a vision, just like – just like the one I had ten years ago about Qui-Gon.

No. That... it can't happen. I won't let it happen. I can't lose her. Not again. Even if she's not a slave, Tatooine is a perilous planet, and she's not safe there. There's no one there who can protect her.

But the question is: was that a vision of something that has already happened, is happening, or that is yet to be? Judging from my experience from ten years ago, it's probably a prediction of the future.

I shudder involuntarily. Mom can't die like that. It could have just been a dream, a voice in my mind tries to be optimistic. But I can't listen to its reassurances right now.

I lay back down slowly, pulling the blanket back over me. I'm never going to be able to sleep. Every time I close my eyes, the scene starts replaying in my mind, haunting me. I want to go back and find her. I need to. I can't just leave her, knowing what might be happening. After what feels like forever, I finally manage to doze off.