Chapter 16 - Geonosis Factory

Obi-Wan Kenobi

The sun is nearing rising as I silently make my way towards the tallest towards in the area. Battle droids are guarding the entrance – not surprising considering that I saw Trade Federation ships here. Fine. I'm not planning to go in that entrance anyway.

I circle around the tower, moving in between the shadows to avoid being seen, finally stopping near a window. Just then, I sense presences approaching from around the corner. Glancing cautiously around the corner, I see two flying creatures who must be Geonosians, moving pasts, talking in their own language.

I turn, quietly moving back the other way. There's no way I can risk someone finding out that I'm here, provided they don't already know. Turning another corner, the sound of clattering machines reaches my ears. With a frown, I step over to the vent the sounds are coming from and look down.

A factory. There are conveyor belts and machines everywhere, and they're producing battle droids. But why? First, I find the Kaminoans have produced a clone army for the Republic, and then I come here to find that the Trade Federation is producing a droid army for the Separatists. The implications of that are more than a little disturbing.

Backing away from the vent, I hurry off again to continue with the investigation. I walk down a staircase, making a turn and coming to an abrupt halt when I hear talking. There are people there, a lot of them. I step back against the wall, taking shelter in the darkness.

"Now we must persuade the Commerce Guild and the Corporate Alliance to sign the treaty," I hear Dooku's familiar voice speaking. He walks past, a group of others, including Neimoidians and Geonosians, following.

"What about the Senator from Naboo?" demands another familiar voice. Gunray. "Is she dead yet? I am not signing your treaty until I have her head on my desk."

It's hardly a surprise he wants her dead so badly, after what happened a decade ago on Naboo. Well, that explains who Jango was working for. I back up a few steps further into the shadows as they round the corner, soon disappearing from sight. I don't catch Dooku's reply.

It's not until the group has long past that I risk moving forwards after them. I follow the sound of voices over to a fairly large gap in the rocks where I can look down at them. They are seated around a table in a fairly large, but still very dark room.

"As I explained to you earlier, I'm quite convinced that ten thousand more systems will rally to our cause with our support," Dooku declares, "And let me remind you of our absolute commitment to capitalism... to lower taxes, the reduced tariffs, and the eventual abolition of trade barriers. Signing this treaty will bring you profits beyond your wildest imagination. What are proposing is complete free trade. Our friends in the Trade Federation have pledged their support. When their battle droids are combined with yours, we shall have an army greater than anything in the galaxy. The Republic will be overwhelmed."

They're preparing for war. I can't help but wonder now. Did Sifo-Dyas foresee this? Was this why he created the clone army? It's a good thing he made it, or the Republic would have been caught off-guard.

"If I may, Count," one of the others speaks up.

"Yes, Passel Argente," Dooku responds, "We are always interested in hearing from the Corporate Alliance."

"I am authorized by the Corporate Alliance to sign the treaty," the person responds.

"We are most grateful for your cooperation, Magistrate."

"The Commerce Guilde at this time does not wish to become openly involved," another representative declares, "But we shall support you in secret, and look forward to doing business with you."