Chapter 4 - Padme

Aniya Skywalker

As the blur of stars streak past the viewport of the spaceship, I shift about in my seat impatiently. The spaceship will reach its destination soon enough. You've waited ten years for this day to come, so you can wait a little longer, I sternly tell myself in an attempt to still the ever-growing excitement. The mission on Ansion has been accomplished, and Qui-Gon and I were immediately sent on our next mission before having a chance to return to the Temple.

But through my concern over what's happening to Mom, I can't help but be excited because of where we're going. It's been so long. I honestly never thought this day would come. I just wish I wasn't alone. Anakin should have been with me.

At long last, the spaceship streaks out of hyperspace with a jolt and the blue and green ball of Naboo comes into view. I might have squealed if I wasn't already nineteen. I just can't believe this is happening. Slowly the spaceship descends towards the surface of the planet, the swirls of white clouds above the endless stretches of green and blue looking just like how I remembered it from ten years ago. As the decent continues, the ship flies down into the capital city of Theed.

It looks just like how I remembered it, except for perhaps a few elaborate modifications to some of the fancy buildings, only serving to make it look more beautiful. I can hardly believe that I'm here again... but what I really can't believe is that after so many years, I'm about to see Padme again. She's now the Senator of Naboo. This is probably the best day ever since I've become a Jedi.

My only regret is that Anakin isn't here with me. He's missed her more than I have; he really deserves to have a chance to see her again. I've thought of every possible way under the sun for him to be able to meet her again, but I haven't been able to think of anything remotely practical. But who knows what the future will bring? Maybe while Padme is on Coruscant Anakin will see her again. I can only hope.

Having talked with her and Jaufre via hologram once every... few months now, since as we got older the calls got much less frequent, just isn't the same. I wish we had more time to talk, but we're all leading separate lives. I'm just glad we're able to communicate with each other at all, but I really, really wish Anakin was here. It would only be fair if he was. After all, I know full-well that he has feelings for Padme, feelings which have developed ever since we past our early teens.

I wonder if Jaufre is still tagging along with Padme as much as he can. Is he going to be there too? I really hope so, but considering that by now he's going to have a job and all, I kind of doubt it. I won't let that ruin my excitement. At least I'll be able to see one of our old friends.

The reason Qui-Gon and I are here is to accompany Padme from Naboo to the capital since there's a high possibility that there will be attempts on her life during her journey. Or at least some sort of danger. That's what happens when you're a Senator with ideas certain people don't like, I suppose.

"Patience, Aniya," Qui-Gon says glancing over at me looking faintly amused.

"I just can't believe this day has finally come," I murmur, my excitement skyrocketing as the ship glides to a stop in a large landing dock near the palace.

"We'll be there soon enough," my master replies, smiling slightly. As we disembark from the ship, my head turns in every direction as I take in the sights. I'm almost tempted to run to get there faster. In between the throngs of people milling about, we make our way towards the palace, where Padme is waiting.

Minutes later, we're ushered into a large room. I can hardly believe this moment has arrived. I manage to keep my expression mostly neutral, even though I'm bouncing with excitement on the inside. I expect far more eagerness is slipping onto my face than intended.