Chapter 10 - Admissions

Anakin Skywalker

I fall in step next to Ruwee and Jaufre as we stroll through the garden in the backyard of Padme's house. "Sometimes I wish I'd traveled more, but I must say, I'm happy here," Ruwee remarks.

"Padme tells me you teach at the university?" I ask.

He nods. "Yes, and before that, I was a builder. I also worked for the Refugee Relief Movement when I was very young."

"I've been a security officer for a while now," Jaufre remarks, "I'm hoping that I can work more closely with Padme in the future. She could use more security."

"That I have to agree with," I remark.

Ruwee frowns, turning to me. "Now tell me, son, how serious is this thing? How much danger is my daughter really in?"

"There have been two attempts on her life," I inform.

"But she still says she's not in any danger," Jaufre sighs. "That's why I want to go with her." Just like I remembered from before.

"Chances are there will be more attempts," I continue seriously, "Aniya's and my masters are tracking down the assassins. I'm sure they'll find out who they are. This situation won't last long." Well, we hope. It seems like this is pretty common for her. Just because one force is taken care of, that doesn't mean there won't be more.

"I don't want anything to happen to her," Ruwee sighs, looking back at the house, concern evident in his eyes.

"I don't either," I murmur.

"And that's why I was honestly hoping she'd give up politics after her terms as queen," Jaufre sighs, "But of course she wouldn't. I guess it's her life's passion."

"That much is obvious," I agree. You only have to talk to her for five minutes to figure that out. I turn at the sound of the front door of the house opening to see Aniya walking down the steps towards us.

"When will you be leaving?" Ruwee asks.

"Preferably sooner than later," Aniya says as she falls in step with us. "If they start looking for her... they're probably going to come here first thing."

"It's not safe for her to stay here long," I add, "It'll just put the rest of you in danger also."

Ruwee sighs, obviously hoping that she could stay longer. "She's been away from home so much ever since she was fourteen."

"Don't worry," Jaufre offers brightly, "I'll be with her too and make sure nothing happens. And maybe after this Senatorial term is over, I can force her to actually have a life again."

"I don't think she's the type you can force to do anything," Aniya points out, looking faintly amused. That's for certain.

Ruwee looks up at the sun for a moment before turning to us, reluctance evident in his voice as he speaks, "It's getting late. You better get inside and pack for the trip."

Aniya Skywalker

It's later in the afternoon as Padme bustles about in her bedroom, packing things up for the trip. Anakin and I pace back and forth, impatiently waiting. Jaufre is in his room packing up for the trip as well. I can hardly believe he's really going to be coming with us also.

"Don't worry, this won't take long," Padme assures us.

"I just want to get there before dark," replies Anakin, glancing out the window.

"It won't be safe traveling after that," I point out, "There's no saying exactly how much that bounty hunter wants you dead, and it is possible he figured out we're here. Which means he could make another attempt in the middle of the night... even if that's unlikely." I don't know much about this planet, so it's going to make it a little harder to defend her if such a thing happens.