Chapter 3 - Plains of the Alwari

Author's Note: Just to clarify, we skipped part of the book between this chapter and the previous, since what happened at that part isn't really important to the plot of Path to War. Also, Aniya was in Barriss' place during the incident with Tooqui, though that part isn't actually included, just mentioned in thoughts. 

~ Tirana Sorki

Aniya Skywalker

"Something's moving from east to west along the horizon!" Kyakhta, one of our guides, calls, banishing any further thoughts of sleep from my eyes. I roll over, sitting up as the others follow suit. We've been riding for days now. I've practically lost track of time. We ran into one clan sometime back which redirected us towards where the overclan may be, but it still feels sometimes like we're traveling blindly.

Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon pick up electrobinoculars, looking out at the horizon.

"Boroki?" Anakin asks hopefully. I really hope so. We've been on Ansion for long enough. And as time goes on, the nightmares are only getting progressively worse. Why did we have to end up on such a long mission right when this started?

"I don't think they are," Qui-Gon has to disappoint us. "But Kyakhta and Bulgan should know."

"This group of people, whoever they are, seem more advanced than herding nomads," Obi-Wan observes, "Or at least, they choose to travel with far more in the way of material goods. I don't see any signs of a domesticated herd. No dorgum, no awiquod – nothing but draft animals. That means that whatever they are, they're not the Borokii." Great. Just great. How much longer are we going to be running around on this planet?

We ascend on our mounts, and soon are galloping across the plain towards them. It doesn't take long before our guides confirm Obi-Wan's assessment. They're a trader clan called the Qulun, who will apparently accept money and any goods in exchange for things.

"See," Bulgan declares as he leans forwards in his saddle, "They're coming out to greet us." Three riders break away from the main column, riding up to us on another type of animal, falling in stride with the suubtar.

I glance over my shoulder at my new, so-called pet Tooqui – a much smaller but still sentient species that lives on the planet – standing leaning down to get a better look at them. We ended up picking him up when he tried to steal some of our supplies, and then insisted on coming along and becoming my pet. Or so he insists, because Jedi aren't supposed to have pets. Not that I'd mind, but it would drive Obi-Wan insane.

"Strange people, these," he mumbles in his strange way of talking, "Tooqui never see before. Not known to Gwurran. Smell different from Alwari."

"They look different also," I observe, "The way they dress and organize themselves is very different from the Yiaw. What do you think, Tooqui?"

"More food for Tooqui's head. More new things to learn about," he states. I glance over at my so-called pet.

"Well if you talk talk all the time," I mimic his way of speaking, "Neither of us will be able to concentrate on these new things. Try to stay quiet."

"Tooqui quiet? Two things that no go together," he replies, scooting closer to me, "But master command, so Tooqui must obey." He grins almost provokingly. "Tooqui good pet always."

"At lot of people prefer pets without sarcasm," Anakin remarks, obviously paying close attention to our conversation.

"Their loss loss," Tooqui replies. I chuckle. Honestly, I agree. He is very amusing, and I like him more than I probably should, seeing as he'll have to stay on Ansion.

"Welcome, off-worlders! The Qulun bid you welcome!" one of the Qulun calls to us as the others approach.

"Thankings for you greeting," Kyakhta replies, "We ride north."