Ger's Song

As the song ended, Jerry turned to Ger and said "well let's get rocking."

He produced a miniature guitar and began playing the chords from Where Is my mind? Ger took his guitar and tried to follow Jerry. Ger started singing the words, croaky and a little out of tune at first, but he got better the second time around as he felt more confident.

When they stopped, the strings on Ger's guitar still vibrating, softly resonating. Jerry looked up at Ger and said "and now we Jam!" and started playing a simple chord sequence.

Ger didn't know what happened next, but something deep down, all the turmoil of his feelings that had been building over time, bubbled up and Ger began to sing again, but this time he used his own words.

Hey, Pa!

What do you say?

Go to the park,

Play the day away.

What's that Pa?

What do you say?

Off down the pub,

To drink your life away.

Spend your time,

With your friends

Bud, Jameson

And Heineken.

Hey Pa!

What do you say?

Pissed the bed,

Third time

In a row

Ma's Gone,

Packed her bags,

Couldn't take

Your lies

Anymore.

Hey Pa!

Why are ya here?

No work today

Called in sick again.

Hey Pa!

What do you say?

On the porcelain phone

To God

everyday.

Hey Pa!

What do you say?

You can't drive

In the state, you're in...

Just as he had begun the song, Johnny and Ariana came in. Ger sang with his eyes closed and didn't notice. They saw Ger singing and playing a heart-wrenching song they had never heard before, but they could also see something.

A mouse in skintight leather trousers a denim shirt and blue suede shoes accompanying Ger on the guitar on the arm of their grotty sofa.

Ger stopped playing and opened his eyes to see his two friends.

"Ari, can you see the mouse playing the guitar?" said Ger in an incredulous voice.

"Yes, Johnny."

"Are you high?" Johnny asked.

"No."

"Thank God, I thought I was going to have to give up weed," he said. Taking a pre-rolled doobie from the pinch of his ear and lighting it up, the love shack filling with its bittersweet odor.

"You can see Jerry too?" asked Ger, relieved that he wasn't crazy.

"You mean the singing mouse?" answered Ariana who was starting to think that she was crazy.

"You know it's bad manners to talk about someone in the third person when they're right in front of you?" said Jerry Lee Mouse.

"How come they can see you now?" asked Ger.

"Dunno Kid, maybe they need my help too," replied the mouse.

"Help?" asked Johnny.

"Well you guys want to win the talent contest, and I got a wealth of experience."

"What do you know about TV reality talent shows?" Ger asked the mouse.

"I'm glad you asked kid, we can finally get back to my story. I'm tired of this comedy animal sidekick schtick; very Disney. Back to me as the protagonist" Jerry did a little victory dance before continuing his story, to an enthralled audience of three.