Chapter 19

Author's Note:
I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for your reads, votes, and comments. It means so, so much to me. Literally every time I get one new read, I smile so much. The amount of love that I'm getting from you guys is unreal, so thank you all. On with the story!

Noah's Perspective:

Rehearsals had ended a couple moments ago, and Richelle and I were called into Emily's office. She hadn't said anything yet, just kept staring at us. I was a little worried.

"I'm just making sure that your duet is ready guys. The competition is this weekend, and I want to win. After last year, we need to redeem ourselves, starting with this. Are you guys absolutely sure this duet is great?" Emily asked us.

"It's amazing, don't worry." Richelle and I said in unison. Emily sent us a questioning look.

"Is there anything going on between you two that I should know about?"

Richelle quickly jumped in. "No. Absolutely nothing." I looked at her, a little surprised.

Emily didn't seem convinced, but simply said, "okay..." and sent us out of her office.

In the locker room, I asked Richelle what that was about.

"Can't we just keep it quiet a little while longer? I don't want our relationship to make people think I'm slacking in dance, and I want to wait until I'm ready for everyone to know."

I decided to keep my little charade going, and made a fake offended look on my face. She looked hurt at first, but I laughed and soon she joined in.

——————

The next day at the competition, we were in the wings, waiting to go on. Richelle was in a tight red bodysuit, with gems all over it. She hated it, as it was tight and heavy—because of the gems, but I thought it made her look really pretty. I was just wearing a button up black shirt and matching black jeans, as the girl was always who the audience was looking at.

I noticed she was trembling slightly, so I put an arm around her shoulder and asked her what was wrong.

"I'm nervous." she said.

"Richelle, it's just a small competition, and we're going to be fine. I've got you."

She smiled and leaned more into my shoulder, using me as support. I was enjoying the moment, until Emily came and interrupted us.

"You guys are on next." she informed us.

"You ready?" I asked Richelle.

"I am. Let's do this."

——————

We walked out onto the stage and got into our opening position. I was standing with my arms around her waist, holding her up as she arched her back. I still marveled at how flexible she was.

The music started. It was a jazzy, upbeat song at first, but then slowly turned into a dark ballad. It showed two people who were in a relationship, and started off really strong, but then it quickly turned horrible. Things just kept happening, one after another, until the girl nearly takes her own life. The guy saves her, but they still can't repair things between them, so they go off on their own.

We had changed the duet from what it was originally, to a storyline that had much more meaning, and was filled with much more emotion, so that the chemistry between us could be showcased—my idea, but she agreed.

The choreography really highlighted all of our individual skills, and was overall a fantastic dance. And when we were done, I knew we'd done a fantastic job.

We finished, and stood there, waiting for our score. Now I understood what Richelle meant about being nervous.

"And The Next Step scores....99 points! Putting them in first place. One above the Gemini's!" they announced.

I almost screamed. That means our routine was nearly perfect! Wow.

I was so happy and caught up in the moment, that when Richelle went in for a hug, I kissed her instead. Right on the stage. In front of hundreds of people. And Emily. And it wasn't just a peck either. It was a kiss. And she kissed back.

She pulled away fairly quickly and grabbed my hand, running off of the stage with an unreadable face expression.

Emily was standing in the wing, with her jaw nearly dropped to the floor. "What the heck did I just witness?" she demanded.

"We won." I said, trying to be an nonchalant as possible.

"I'm quite aware of that. But I meant after that. You know, when you swapped saliva on stage. God, you guys are reminding me of my sister and her idiot boyfriend. No offense to you, Noah." she sighed.

"Uhhhhh....yeah..." Richelle mumbled.

I didn't say anything. I knew that if I did, Richelle would probably get even more mad at me. I did just kiss her on stage, I didn't want to add fuel to the fire.

"You know what? Okay. But it had better not mess with your dancing." Emily eyed Richelle, then walked out, tapping her shoulder. "Good job, though." I heard her whisper to her.

"It won't. And thanks." Richelle muttered. She looked pleased at what Emily said to her. Then she grabbed my arm again and dragged me to her dressing room, pushing me inside when I hesitated.

"What happened to not telling anyone!" She yelled.

"I'm sorry, I just got caught up in the moment. But it's okay, Emily's fine with it. And we won." I tried to defend.

"You're lucky we did win, or I would have a lot more to say."

I chuckled and side-hugged her, leading her out and to my parent's car.

Author's Note:
Another long one...oops:)