2

Everson

The sun reflecting on the gold pavement of Elysian was so blinding Ever put a hand over his eyes. The city of Elysian was as bright and cheery as usual. Out of all the places he'd been in their world, Elysian was his least favorite. It was too bright. It made his eyes hurt.

Bash walked beside him in the golden city, a sort of determined look in his brow. He'd looked like that since Ryn disappeared. Ever felt like rolling his eyes. His brother knew nothing about love and he had no idea what it felt like. Bash did not love Ryn but he was to blind to see it.

Mara and Kaida walked behind them while Octavious and Nyan trailed in front of them. Their little group had smiles on their faces that were both nostalgic and joyous. He could tell his family missed their home.

Ever didn't. Crestwood Academy was his home. Forever. Screw their world and their magic. It didn't interest him. He found it all amusing.

Ever refused to let his gaze linger on Octavious. He'd not talked to him since ... since they had kissed. The first week he had assumed it was all in his head but everytime he looked up Octavious was looking at him strangely. He forced himself to look away every time. He probably regretted it. Well, of course he regretted it, Octavious was in love with Nyan. Ever's sister.

Everson regretted the words he had said to Octavious back at Sorins castle, You can't kiss me. Not when I've spent half my life longing for it. Not when you don't mean it.

He was so foolish. How could he ever say those words to him? After a century of holding his feelings in, how could he slip up so easily?
Ever felt an arm slip into his and he felt the person draw him back a couple of steps.

He turned to Mara and grinned. "Hiya, sweetheart."

She flicked his forehead. Her carmel gaze glowed in the golden sunlight along with her brownish tan skin. Her curly hair had puffed out more than usual making her look like a lioness. "Ever, I've told you about a million times to stop calling me that."

Ever sighed and patted her hand. "What do you need Mar?"

Her eyes softened and she smiled gracefully. "I need to talk to you."

He knew that look in her eyes. He grinned. "No."

Her kind look never faltered. "Come, on. Something is wrong with you. You've been acting strange since Ryn disappeared."

"She didn't disappear, she was taken by that horrible sexy demon man!"

"You think he's sexy?"

"You don't?"

"Well, I mean- Hey! Stop changing the subject!"

He smiled. "Nothing is going on Mara, I'm fine. But the goddamn sunlight is making me need a drink."

She gave him a skeptical look before her eyes landed on Bash. "Do you think he'll actually get Enyo to help us get Ryn back?"

Ever looked at his poor, hopeful, brother. "Hell no. I don't know why he has so much faith in her."

"They were friends when we were kids."

"Yeah, so? I was once friends with a pet rock, doesn't mean I'm going to ask it to save the world with me."

Mara chuckled, the noise deep and soft. Bash was an idiot for letting her go and breaking her heart. Mara and Bash were on and off for years but Ever was sure they hadn't actually dated since before they moved to Crestwood. This girl was perfect in every way. Ever wished in that moment he was in love with someone like Mara. someone soft and ... easy. Instead he was stuck loving his sister's boyfriend.