Chapter 33. What's Normal

"Talia this is not ok," I murmured as I hesitantly took a peek from behind a red truck to the town that lay ahead. It was around 10 am in the morning and the place was bustling with activity. People walked to and fro their destinations, some carrying their shopping bags, others talking cheerfully with their companions.

Of all the days that we would be here, it had to fall on a weekend, I thought glumly as I studied a mother tending to her baby a few meters from us. But it could not be helped. A promise was a promise and the princess was too pushy for her own good. I tried persuading her to stay in our new hideout, about 30 minutes from here. However, she got her way in the end. When would I learn?

"You worry too much Cybele." Her breath tickled my ear. I had to lean away slightly in order to concentrate. "We'll blend in, grab some lunch, maybe shop for new clothes, and then go home. Quick and easy. No one would be the wiser."

I had to roll my eyes at that. She was too optimistic considering the circumstances. "Unless of course they recognize their princess. Then we wouldn't be shopping or giggling. You'd be brought to your mother and I'd be beheaded. Luckily for Van, she's not here to suffer from the consequences of our actions."

Talia snaked her arms around me. She was warm. And soft. And mmmm her scent. . . Wait. It was not the time to think about such things. We needed to be careful. "You're distracting me princess." I turned to look at her. Talia was wearing what I could only describe as something normal. Usually, she'd wear a dress or a gown because she was the princess. Today, she was wearing a simple blue t-shirt and shorts.

Heaven must have been looking down on us because we also found a black wig that now effectively covered her honey-colored hair, which was her trademark. When combined with the cat's eye glasses that were in one of the closet, she looked fit for normalcy. Well, she'd always be the most beautiful, but you know what I meant.

As for me, a simple jeans and white shirt did the trick. People around here didn't know me anyway. If they did, it would have to be my model persona, the one they would see in the magazines and billboards. Not the person who kidnapped the princess and definitely not their long lost queen.

Talia smiled naughtily. "I hope it's a welcomed distraction," she whispered, scanning my body with her eyes. "Anyway, can we eat now? My tummy is aching so much that I can eat a cow. Or you," she added meaningfully.

 "Let's go for the cow," I smirked. "But before we go to the battle, remember that if there are any signs of distress, we run. No arguments okay?" Talia nodded. I took her hand in mine. "Alright, here goes." Together, the two of us stepped away from behind the truck which was positioned at the edge of the town and made our way in.

The first five minutes of walking was a nightmare. Every time anyone would so much as glance at Talia's direction, I tend to pull her closer to me. If I could, I would have already thrown her inside a sack, or covered her head for that matter. Sweat dripped all over my body, making me hyperaware of the whole surroundings.

"Cybele, chill." Talia squeezed my hand, giving me a concerned look. "See? No one recognized me. We're safe."

I swallowed hard. "But we're in broad daylight princess. I'm not comfortable with this. The palace guards may be waiting for us somewhere. I should never have agreed to do this."

"I'll protect you." She was so genuine that even if I was worried enough to piss myself, a smile still appeared on my face. "See? It's not so hard to smile Cybele."

"Don't push it princess" I joked. Looking around I said, "Found anywhere you want to eat?"

"Hmmm. Let's go there." Talia pointed to a diner near us. "It looks inviting enough, plus it's nearly empty so it's perfect."