Chapter 36. Vanessa

Chapter 36. Vanessa

"I volunteer!"

"For the hunger games?" I chuckled, earning a glare from the sun-kissed beauty who was sitting near the fireplace.

"No," Brooke replied, staring back at Cybele. It was the perfect timing to catch a glimpse of her beautiful face. Brooke had the features of a model- long ebony hair, dark almond eyes, and high cheekbones. I could go on and on about it, but she would probably kill me if she found out that I was thinking about that. It seemed that only her majesty was the only one who caught her eyes. Too bad for her because Cybele was madly in love with the princess.

"As I was saying," Brooke continued. "Since we've been stuck in this house for almost a week, we've started to run out of supplies. There is plenty of water but the food won't last for another day or two." She flipped her hair behind her back. Sexy. "Because Iris and Talia can't go to the town to get supplies, it looks like I need to be the one to do that."

"Why can't we just go back to England your highness?" I chimed in, looking from the princess to the supposed queen Cybele. The four of us were sitting on the living room, discussing about our plans for the next few days.

Cybele shook her head. "We can't leave the house yet. The guards are everywhere. They have doubled in numbers trying to locate the princess. That's why you can't go to the town for now," she said directly to Brooke. "It would be too dangerous."

Brooke sighed. "But what about food?"

"I guess we have no choice but to ration it," Cybele said.

"It won't last long," Brooke said, standing from the sofa. She turned to my direction. "We need to find another source. What do you think Vanessa?"

I wiggled my eyebrows at her. "I think you're sexy baby." Talia burst out laughing while her majesty Cybele tried hard not to smile. In the meantime, I got another disapproving look from Brooke. "What? You asked me what I think."

"Rubbish," Brooke said.

"Is that another term for you want me too?" I joked, winking at her. "Cause you know I'm interested."

"Cybele," Brooke started with a warning tone. "If you don't make her shut her trap I'm going to lose it."

I raised my hands in a conciliatory manner before her majesty could tell me off. Everyone knew I was kidding. Everyone except Brooke. She was so irritated with me that it made me wonder why she rescued me in the first place from the fire. Maybe to get on her highness good side, I thought in despair. Or maybe she had nothing better to do that day than to save pathetic girls like me from being killed. Must be the former.

"Okay, okay I'm going to shut up and just stay here in the corner. Just don't get mad oh beautiful Goddess. You might get wrinkles." I clamped my mouth, not willing to risk having an argument with her.

Talia spoke for the first time since having our conversation. "So what do you guys propose we do? We can't go to the town cause me might get discovered, but we can't stay here and starve as well."

A small smile flitted on Cybele's lips. "Why don't we just eat each other?"

Talia wrinkled her nose. "Like cannibals? That seriously sounds disgusting. I'd rather starve thank you very much."

"You know I'm not talking about that," Cybele said. I caught Brooke pursing her lips at that comment. Her majesty must have noticed it too since she diverted the conversation quickly. "Or we can always eat porridge if there's some in the house. What do you say princess? I'll spoon feed you."