Chapter 34. Inner Pandemonium

Talia and I stared dumbfounded back at the stage. It was, without a doubt, our friend and comrade Vanessa who was up in there, surrounded by strange people whom I could barely recognize. Their faces were hidden in grotesque masks, and their body language indicated that everything we have been seeing was not a performance.

Besides, the circling fire around Van was proof enough that she didn’t suddenly join a group of theatre people just for kicks. No. . . This was about something else. Something about me and the princess, and Van was live bait.

Talia took a deep, strangled breath beside me. “What are we going to do?” she squeaked. I looked at her face. The ghostly makeup she was wearing was perfect for the scared expression she showed.

A combination of adrenaline and fear rushed through my veins. “Let’s get her. I don’t know how. But damn if we don’t.” Glancing around the surrounding area, I searched for something, anything that could help us get Van out of that situation. We had no weapons or man power. Only the desire to get her.

In my haste to search, I barely recognized that someone already took a microphone on the stage. Talia had to nudge me so I could focus my attention there. The muscled guy tapped the microphone twice before speaking. “Ladies and gentlemen,” he said in a loud booming voice, the sound echoing all over the place.

Talia gasped. “Muscles!”

“You know that guy?” I asked as I trained my eyes carefully to the stage.

She nodded vigorously. “Yes! He was part of the group who kidnapped me from you. They called him Muscles and he was originally in league with Vanessa.” Talia shook her head in dismay, looking like she was remembering something unpleasant. I grabbed her hand to calm her, though the thought of losing Talia that night made my insides boil.

“If this Muscles guy is a friend of Van’s, then what do you think is going on? Are they perhaps fooling around?”

“I don’t think so Cybele.” Her eyes flitted worriedly to the stage, the glow of the fire reflected there. “These people are not good okay? They are different from Van. Malicious. Evil. I think they,”

The word she was going to say was cut off by the squealing sound of the microphone. It was like sharp fingernails were being dragged on a chalkboard, creating a very unpleasant scratching noise, which made me and Talia cover our ears momentarily with our hands. All around us, the crowd did the same, though some just stared with barely concealed interest at the supposed performance.

“Tonight!” Muscles announced. “We will show you something different. Something you’ve never witnessed before.” He bowed for emphasis. The onlookers and almost everyone around the plaza, with the exception of me and Talia began to clap loudly. When the cheering subsided, Muscles continued. “The play is about a girl who betrayed her friends. And we all know what happens to betrayer’s right? Can you guess it?” he asked the audience.

“You stop being friends?” one shouted.