Chapter 28. Space In Between

“Are you still awake your highness?” Van whispered from her side of the bunk bed.

“Yes,” came my steady reply.

The time was unknown to me, though judging by the stillness of the night and the silence that followed, it must have been midnight. Vanessa and I were inside the maid quarters. We have been provided a single room, with a bunk bed where I took the bottom position, plus a bathroom where we could do our business. To a commoner, the room was rather large, but because I was raised as a future queen, and my adoptive parents were billionaires, to me it seemed like a cupboard.

“I want to talk to you,” Van said, a little loudly this time. She made her way down the wooden stairs of the bed and sat on the floor so she could face me. “Your majesty, what is our plan? How do we take back the palace?”

“You want me to tell you the truth Vanessa?” She nodded eagerly, her head illuminated by the little lighting that the moon provided through the window. “I don’t have a plan,” I said bluntly. “Zero. My head is a mess.”

Van scratched her blonde hair. It looked eerily pale from the moonlight. “Why don’t we just kill the queen and get it over with?”

“We won’t get a hundred feet from her. There are guards everywhere. They will never leave her side, especially Ronaldo.” The mention of his name ignited hatred deep within me. “Nobody knows that we’re here. Not the public or the other nobles. If we get executed, we’re really done for and nobody would ever find out.”

“Talia would know,” Van replied, giving me a hopeful look.

I turned my back from her, hiding the frown on my face. “Talia is not exactly cooperative right now.”

Van didn’t speak for a minute or two, probably wondering what she’d tell me. When she did, she said, “I heard she’s getting married.”

“I heard that too.” There was a sick feeling in my stomach. More than that, I wanted to pound my fist on a granite wall so it would bleed over and over. Anything was better than this.

“Aren’t you going to do anything about it?”

“How?” I replied, rolling my eyes though I knew she couldn’t see me with my back to her. “Go to the church or wherever they’re doing the ceremony and scream to stop the wedding?” A sarcastic laugh escaped my mouth. “We’ll get executed by then. You don’t know Esmeralda like I do. She’s only keeping us alive because of her selfish reasons. But the moment Talia gets married, she’ll behead us.”

“If what you said is true, then we need to leave this place your highness. What’s the point of staying if we’re going to get killed anyway? If Talia wants to get married to that Lancelot dude, then let her.”

I turned to face Van. “Leave if you want, but I’m staying.” Her eyes widened, both in question and disbelief. “If I’m going to die, then I choose to die here in this very place. I was born here, and so I will die here. And the moment Talia weds with Lance, I will kneel in front of her and ask for my death. There’s no point in living anyway. I have failed my parents, I have failed me, and now even my love life is a failure.”