Chapter 35. Friends

Chapter 35. Friends

A soft knock on the door pulled me away from the book I was reading. "Who is it?" I called out.

"It's me," came Brooke's reply. Oh. What time was it anyway? It seemed like everyone was already asleep.

"Come in." The wooden door opened, revealing my best friend. On her beautiful tanned face was a smile, tough something in her eyes did not quite match the joy on her lips. I cocked my head to the side. "Do you need anything?"

She came in, shutting the door behind her with a click. How very much like her to visit me at ungodly hours like this. Brooke stopped just in front of the chair I was sitting in. "You're reading another book? You used to do that a lot in college." She gave me a look. "I thought you only studied hard to find a way to kidnap the princess? Well she's yours now."

I sighed. "If you still think that, then you really don't know me well. I love to study. Not only because of the princess."

"Just kidding Cybele." She smiled. "I know you're a nerd like that. That's why I fell in love with you in the first place. You look so sexy while reading."

I rolled my eyes at her. "Don't remind me. Anyway, what is your purpose of visit? I know you didn't come here to talk about my sexiness." I gave her a pointed look. "Is something bothering you?"

"Come on," she said, leaning down and poking my nose gently with her finger. "Can't I visit you because I missed you? Is that not allowed anymore?"

"It's not allowed anymore." My lips quirked up as her face fell. "Alright, alright. It's still allowed. But just because you're Brooke and I've known you since the beginning of the century."

Her smile returned. "Good. Now I want you to close your eyes Cybele."

My eyebrow raised. "So you can attack me with kisses? No way!" I joked.

We both laughed. It felt so good to see her smile once more. I didn't realize that Brooke was that important to me. It was with deep regret that I took her friendship for granted all those years. But I'd never do that again. The thought of losing her that day on the farm was enough to open my eyes and value her.

"Don't worry. I won't kiss you," she said. "Not when you're expecting anyway. Just kidding," she added when she saw my wide-eyed look. "But I do have a gift for you Cybele, and I want you to close your eyes so I can give it properly."

"Why can't you just give it to me now while I'm looking?"

She pinched my cheek. "Because that's not exciting. Come on, just close your eyes. Please? Pleeeeeease!" Brooke gave me a hopeful look.

"Okay. Just stop being a crybaby." I closed my eyes momentarily, only to open it again. "No funny business," I said with a warning tone. She crossed her heart with her hand, making me laugh. Once more, I closed my eyes, relaxing comfortably on the chair.

"No peeking," I heard her murmur excitedly.

"Yes. Just get it over with."

A few seconds passed.

Silence.

I didn't dare open my eyes. "Hey, what's taking so long?" She didn't speak.

Something felt terribly wrong, I realized in an instant. My eyes snapped open. There stood Brooke in front of me, a very satisfied look on her face. What was going on? I reached out to her, only to feel pain on my chest. Pain and something slimy and wet. The image as I looked down made me gasp out loud.