Chapter twenty- three

Its been around 8 months (I think) since I last edited and I'm so so sorry! This was never meant to be a full time project but more and more people are begging me to finish!!! I originally only planned for around 25- 30 chapters, but now I'm realising that the plan I made when I was 13 years old (when I began writing this) wouldn't even satisfy a six-year-old. So now we're going down a darker, more complex route, maybe even going as far as 50 chapters, if that's what we need. I'm not going to promise updates because I do every time, but if this chapter get a lot of comments and votes then of course I'll continue. (122 words)

TW (trigger warning): So I don't know if this is really needed but there is mention of suicide so I just wanted to prepare incase anyone was super uncomfortable with the mention of it xx

Grey clouds created a blanket over the shore, the waves crashing aggressively against the high walls. High tide was in, going down as far as it could on the sandy rocks. 

Nothing had been explained, only more mysteries being uncovered, yet my mind was clearer than it had been in days. Everything made sense after Tessa and Lexie had recited those pledges. I didn't know what it meant for me nor them, but it was right. 

The only right thing in the entire situation. 

Sebastian came and leant against the rusting bars, his fingers wrapping together in front of him. He let out a gentle sigh, just looking ahead in the waves. 

"I know that your probably confused, but it's better that way. It's better not to know everything right away, y' know? Don't wanna overwhelm you or anything," 

I sniggered slightly and shook my head, a slight smile on my lips. 

"More overwhelmed than this? I can't even think about anything," 

"Because you're trying too hard," Sebastian laughed, shaking his head. "I used to think too, but the second I stopped life was so much easier," 

"I can't just stop thinking,"

"You can trust me. I do it daily, I only ever have three things on my mind," 

I hadn't had a chance to even talk to Sebastian alone before. His jawline was pointed, his hair neat and short. He was a conventionally attractive man, nobody could deny it. But yet I had never had the same pull to him. 

Not the same pull I had to Julian. 

"So what do you think about then?" I asked, trying to break the silence. 

"Julian, Marinette and food,"

"Whose Marinette?" 

My head fully turned to the side to look up at him, watching for his reaction. His lips turned up softly, not in his usual cocky grin, but a softer, more loving smile. 

"My soulmate," he sighed. "I haven't seen her since I was taken to the aquarium. Didn't even get my goodbye," 

I shook my head. "None of this is right, I'm sorr-"

"Na don't be, none of it was your fault. Don't need pity," he sighed, breathing getting heavier. " I just... the only thing that has kept me going is the thought of her. There have been many times where I've wanted to just end it. Life's juts seemed so helpless lately. I tried but..." 

His head went down, his eyes scrunched closed. I watched as his fingers loosened and he smiled again. My heart clenched at the thought. 

He didn't want to continue. 

"But Julian just kept reminding me that we would get out, and no matter when it was she'd be waiting. She's my only way throuihg this," 

"What's she like?" I whispered.