Chapter fourteen

Annabelle

My breathe halted as I stood in front of the familiar door.

All of a sudden the door seemed very threatening to my entire existence. It was all up to me now; my fate was, ironically, put in to my own hands. After all my jibber jabbering of how he was a monster, and that he could kill at any given moment, here I was, practically giving my self up to him. I mean, come on!

The lamb would never walk up to the lion.

And he was very much alike a lion; just more dangerous. Uncle John had said that there were still no cameras in the room (Which made me feel even more nervous), but there was always at least one person on watch. And sure enough, through the window, I could see a small, short, stubby man sat on a chair, sleeping. Pffft.

Like he was gonna do much.

And as I walked through the doors, I instantly spotted him. His head acting on its own accord, whipping around to look at me. Oh God. I could already see it...

As the small girl walked, his eyes lay on her tiny figure; watching her every movement.

Like a predator would stalk his prey.

She continued to walk with her back faced to the creature, oblivious to all. Like a lamb before the slaughter.

If only she would have stayed at home.

That would definitely be on the front page of the local news. Jesus, what was she kidding? It would be the talk of the entire world! In total, only six people had entered the water with the monsters.

Only one had come out unharmed.

And yet, still, only one of them had died. The story had obviously blown up, spreading like wild fire. But I could already for see that my death would have a whole other in sight in to the world of dark waters. I would be the girl who every one thought would survive, the girl who had the pretty pictures taken with the mermaids. But then I met my gruesome end, as I had merely been a play thing for the dangerous monster than every one now feared.

But, I knew that I had to do it. Not only because David had found me a job where it included more shots of me with the mermaids, but for me. For me because I had to know what was going on in his sick head. His sick mind. Yes, it was unlikely that it would all come out. But I could at least try, couldn't I? I would stay back from the edge, no where near him. I would try my best not to cry, to not show weakness. To not show him what he had done to me.

I wouldn't let it amuse him.

I began to walk up those steps, feeling his eyes watching my every move. These steps were sure to lead to hell... or at least, death. Where I would then be taken to hell or heaven, most likely the former. He wasn't going to stop looking at me, I could already tell. And when I looked down in to his eyes, I gasped inside.

He was smiling, genuinely smiling. Like, a fully fledged smile. Was he so sick that he was amused at my pain?! But then again, it didn't seem to be one of victory and evil. More of one that showed relief and happiness. 

He didn't deserve to be happy.

Not after every thing he had done.

"Why do you smile?" I asked, looking him dead in the eyes. Those gorgeous, ocean eyes. It really wasn't fair, that a creature so evil could look so good. His smile faltered as it seemed that he not been able to process my question fully. "Why do you smile when you know every thing that you've done? Every bit of pain that you've caused? It's sick!" I said, disgust lacing my voice.

Julian looked as though I had just smacked him in the face, his expression shocked and hurt. His mouth was wide open, his sharp jaw line at angle that i had never seen it. "Belle" he started softly, as though he were talking to a child. "You don't understand, I-" But I couldn't take it. He had no right to say that i didn't understand. I understood perfectly well! I was there.

"No, stop! I understand perfectly well what you did!" I semi- screamed, pointing my finger at him. "I was there, Julian. One does not simply forget some thing like that! You can't act as if you care, steal my first kiss and then go and kill some one like that!" I said, stepping forward, already forgetting my rule of not going near the edge. "Julian, I don't know who you are, but I am certainly not who you think I am... I am not some one whose feelings can be played around with!"

Julian just floated there, a straight, non emotional expression on his face. By now, I was crouched down so my knees were bent up to my face. balancing on the balls of my feet. My face was right up in his, tears slowly descending from my tiny eyes. "You killed a father, Julian. You just killed a man as if it were nothing. Can't you see that your a monster?" I asked, weeping as I did so. 

Julian just looked up at me. Even though his face was blank, it was clear to see that his mind was whisking away. His sick sick mind coming out to play with my emotions. And I wasn't going to let that happen. I just shook my head at him. "I thought that you might have actually cared for me..." I whispered, as I began to stand up.

But then, he grabbed my hand in his webbed one, and pulled me in close. It was very similar to the first time we had kissed, even if it was just a peck on the cheek. Julian looked me dead serious in the eye, not breaking eye contact for a single second.

It was dangerous to maintain eye contact.

"Belle" his voice managed to spit out, now raspy. "Never think that I don't care about you. Ever" he practically growled, although not in a threatening way. It was almost in a way that was saddening, as though he was really trying to get the point across that he cared at me. When in was obvious that he didn't.

I just pulled away, him letting me go this time. I stood up to my full height, looking down on him. "You know, if you wouldn't have killed some one, I wouldn't have swam away. You would have been able to hook me... and I would have fallen straight in to the net, allowing you to do what you do. I probably would have let my self love you..."

"And I refuse to let my self fall for a monster"

*****

Words: 1145

I know, I know, It's bad! They are seperating, but do not worry! The mate bond will do its trick eventually, leaving them either love sick, or sea sick.

Question of the day: Would you forgive Julian?

Mia x

ADD. VOTE. COMMENT.