Chapter Two: Mako

Chief Mako walked down the hallway heading towards the radio room. The radio room was located in the middle of the Republic City Police station. Containing wires connecting to all police airships. Unit 32 had just got an anonymous call telling them that an Airbender with a burn on her arrow tattoos, was spotted in an alley of 19th and 6th. It might be another fake, ever since Kyatha went missing five years ago. People have been dressing up to appear like Kyatha hoping to get a reward. Bolin and Opal's hopes got crushed with every false report, adding more yuans to their reward. Hoping their daughter would come home to them. Moko had stopped telling them when there was a new sighting, preventing them from being more heartbroken. Moko knew there was a possibility that Kyatha might have died in the bandit raid. But he couldn't bear telling that to the couple.

His team was on direct orders to let him know the moment there was a new sighting, if they were close enough they would bring the girl back to headquarters. The interrogator would then interview them to see if they were decoys or not. Mako was sad to say that the girls were treated like criminals, going in a holding cell until someone came to bail them out. But Mako was trying to discourage the phoneys. It was unright for people to take advantage of Opal and Bolin's distress, robbing them of their money and hope of finding their daughter.

The cops running the radio room looked up when Mako came in. "Chief! Thanks for coming so quickly," said a controller in the corner. Mako nodded and rushed over to him.

"Of course, any news from Unit 32?" Mako peered over the cop's shoulder, the wire was connecting them directly to Unit 32's cockpit. Mako grabbed a pair of headphones and put them on, he nodded the controller. The cop pressed a button and Mako spoke, "this is Chief Mako, do you have the suspect secured?"

"Yes, Chief. We have a slight problem, it appears that right before we showed up she got injected, with the anti-bending shot."

"How I thought she was alone?" Mako asked, astonished. Somebody really wanted her to be found, even using a highly illegal shot.

"We saw two men rush out of the alley as we descended, they could be colleagues with the girl and turned on her." Mako sucked in quickly,

"Do you think it could be her?"Mako was overrun with grief and excitement, what would cause someone to inject her with an anti-bending shot, it was so wrong. And if it was her what would Mako say to Bolin and Opal. The possibilities were overwhelming, Mako sat down heavily in a chair near the operator.

"Possibly Chief, we checked to see if she had tattoos that weren't fake and there real all right."

"What about her scar?" Mako asked, after all these years they might have found Kyatha.

"It's real alright, but in a different shape than the posters."

"The shape doesn't matter, when she first got injured Jinora and Kai took her on there flying bison to a healing clinic, they then had to quickly return to help deal with the bandits, nobody was able to see the burn fully." Mako prayed that he was right, and this girl wasn't a decoy.

"Very well sir, we are docking right now. She is unconscious and will need to see a medical personal before we can integrate her. She does have a black eye and a couple of scrapes and bruises." Mako nodded, wondering who would want to injure her before turning her in.

Moko took off the headphones, said a hasty thanks to the officers on duty, and rushed up the remaining five flights of stairs. When Mako finally reached the roof he had a stitch on his stitch and his breath was a wheezing mess. Why didn't he take the elevator? Who knows? Mako clicked his badge and burst through the roof's doors. Three airships were parked for the day but the last one. Unit 32 had officers bustling about, tying cords to attach the ship to the roof. And inserting fuel and sewage pipes. These were all normal protocols, but on the top of the ramp were two medical clerks carrying a stretcher down the ramp. Mako's heart jumped, could it be Kyatha? A crowd was starting to gather around the ramp curious to see who was on the stretcher.

"Coming through! Move it!" Mako bellowed, he was first polite but as nobody let him through he became more and more impatient. Finally, he shot a fire blast in the air, a murmur traveled through the crowd. Look it's the chief! And, I wonder if he knows what's going on? But it was too late the medics already disappeared through the elevator doors. Mako felt like screaming, but wouldn't risk losing the respect of his employees. Mako nodded at the crowd, then spun around heading back down the stairwell. He went down three flights of stairs. Mako then realized that after Kyatha was looked over, he could see her for the first time in over five years.