Chapter Three: Kai

I know this Image doesn't show Kai, but this is the kind of room I would imagine Kai being interrogated in. So enjoy what I have written! And use your imagination for what it looks like actually XD.

Kai woke in a metal cell, it was as if the police were mocking her. If she had her bending. She could have easily escaped, but now she was stuck in the cell like a sitting duck. There was a cot in one corner, and a reinforced door, no doubt someone guarding her 24/7. Her shoulder was constantly aching from the anti-bending shot. Allowing Kai only to be able to use her left arm. If Kai wanted to get out of this police base, without anyone knowing her identity. She would need to hide her scars and tattoos. The one problem was how many people saw her when she was unconscious and if anyone figured out the truth. Kai slipped her hands into her jacket pocket and found that it was empty. The police must have confiscated her stuff, including her lock pick.

Kai felt her face and discovered that one eye was swollen shut. Great now I can't see out of one eye, I don't have my bending, one of my arms is immobilized and I am locked in this cell. Could things get any worse? Yes, Kai thought, as a door slammed behind her. She whirled around and saw a guard staring at her. Kai made sure her scar and tattoos were hidden, her jacket, gloves, and hair did the job well enough. The officer looked slightly familiar, but Kai could just be seeing things

"Chief Mako would like to see you." The officer announced, she had the standard uniform of a Republic Police and looked as if she was fresh out of college.

"You can tell him that I deny his offer, and request to make a phone call for someone to pick me up," Kai uttered. The officer laughed,

"You don't have a choice in this matter."

"Look I don't want to hurt you but I don't belong here. I didn't do anything wrong." The officer dropped her casual attitude,

"You will come with me and see the Chief. You can't do anything to me, you are bendless and I have backup outside this cell ready to intervene at the first sight of trouble." Kai suppressed a sigh, the is cop meant business. Kai followed the girl out of her cell and headed down a hallway, and at the first intersection two guards followed her from behind. Even if Kai had her bending she would only make about two feet before she got caught.

They entered a metal room, a table with two chairs in the middle of it. Guards rimmed the interior of the room. As Kai got closer she saw four things on the table, a clipboard and a pencil, a pair of glasses, and five metal rings. Kai plopped down, crossed her arms, and acted like she was fine to be here. When her mind was slowly calculating why the Chief wanted to see her, and why in this room with so much secretary.

The officer who had escorted her to this room put the five rings on Kai's fingers. "What are you doing?" Shattering the silence of the room.

"It's a lie detector." The girl said, Kai watched as the rings slowly tightened around her fingers. Kai felt hopelessness wash over her, there was no hope of escape with this much secretary. The lie detectors would know if she lied or not. Kai knew one way to dodge a lie detector by asking another question, but how long could she keep that up?

The door opened and in walked three more guards, one cop had more badges and medals on his uniform, indicating that he was the Chief. Kai suppressed a gasp, it was her Uncle Mako. Time had not been good to him, he had worry wrinkles permanently etched on his face. His hair was still dark brown but had gray wisps here and there. The Chief scanned the room, his eyes landing on Kai. Tears swelled in his eyes, hope ignited. Was it right of her to keep hidden from her family all these years? Yes, she didn't belong with them, she was better off on the streets. Mako sat down, put on the glasses, and slid the clipboard towards him. Kai was confused; nobody held a device, that could hold all the technology needed for the lie detector work. Maybe they forgot. Kai prayed that she was right, but knew she was too optimistic.