Chapter Five: Kai

Sorry I didn't update last week! I forgot, well here's the next one, let me know if I portrayed Zuko right.... alright enough blabber! Let me know what you think!

Kai felt the world crumbling around her, for the past five years she had built up these walls; her family would be ashamed of what she had become, they would think she was a monster, she didn't belong with them. But what Ruby had just said was like a wrecking ball, collapsing all the walls that she had built up. Maybe she still was Kyatha, maybe she wasn't a criminal, maybe her family did want her. Kai just wished there was an answer to all her questions, Ruby had just given her a chance, was it her last chance? Could she still try to make amends with Ruby, her parent, and the rest of her family? Maybe but where would she start? Ruby was an obvious start, but would her parent's mind if she waited a little bit longer before seeing them again? Everything was unsure, but if something went rye Kai wouldn't have her bending to help her.

Kai stood up and walked over to the cell door, she tried looking through the window but it was like looking at a wall, it must have been a one-way window. Kai then tried knocking on the door, she tried everything possible, elbow, fist, feet, and even her head. The guard on duty was either ignoring her or the room was soundproof. Recognizing defeat Kai sank onto her cot and tried to get some sleep. Kai awoke the next morning, or was it a night? It was hard to tell without a window! To find her right shoulder aching painfully, her black eye pain had finally started to lessen! But now her shoulder felt like it was on fire, any movement caused a sudden piercing flare of pain. Kai decided that since nothing was happening in the physical world. She should meditate into the spiritual world, talk to Zuko who had taken over Iroh's tea shop a few years back and be relieved a little bit from the pain.

Kai found herself in a green meadow, flowers flitting merrily in a breeze, spirits running around underfoot. The spirit world seemed surprisingly empty, not many humans were seen, Kai headed down a path knowing if she focused on her destination the spirit world would shift its paths to adapt to her needs. She broke through a forest of trees and found herself in the clearing with Zuko's tea shop, two dog spirits were pouncing on each other while a tree appeared to be sipping a cup of tea. A tiger was chatting merrily with a dolphin spirit. Everything was quiet and quaint, no police breathing down your neck, no one reminding you of your mistakes.

Kai ran down the path and as she got closer she saw Zuko pouring a cup of tea for her, Kai smiled Zuko may have had a temper and lacked the wise words of his uncle. But he was a friend when Kai was surrounded by foes.

"Kai it is a pleasure to see you," When Kai first decided to change her name from Kyatha to Kai, Zuko just nodded and said, A change of name might be fit. "Have you been well?" Kai's smile faltered, Zuko nodded and glanced at the other spirits. "Perhaps we should take a walk?" Kai accepted the tea gratefully. The two-headed down a path, meandering through the countryside. Kai filled Zuko in on everything that had happened since the last time they had met. Zuko seemed rather upset when Ruby visited Kai's cell; "Didn't she see that you were upset?"

"Well yes, but she made me realize something," Kai admitted. "Maybe I should reach out to my family again, I just don't know how."

"A good place to start is to talk to them, tell them how you feel," Zuko said strolling down a path that led through a bamboo forest, the light flitted through the leaves making the earth seem like a green wonderland. "I know it's not much, but it's better to start somewhere."

"Thank you, I just feel so defenseless, without my bending and all."

"Kai, they might listen to you more, respect even without your bending." Kai gave Zuko a look of confusion. "Your family will see that you are defenseless, so you can just talk. They might be worried that you might attack them but without your bending, it could be a sign of peace."

"Yeah, some painful sign of peace," Kai muttered, Zuko frowned.

"Could you perhaps remind me how the anti-bending shot works?" Zuko asked. "I haven't been to the physical world in a while, I have heard rumors of the shot but not how it works." Kai searched to find the right words.

"It's a shot that gets injected into your shoulder or thigh, it lasts two weeks or so. Letting the poison to spread throughout your body, blocking your bending paths.

"It's like Ty Lee or the chi blockers that worked for Amon."

"Yes, but a lot more painful."A nice relief of the spirit world is your injuries come with you but the pain is minimal. Kai rolled her sleeve up and showed Zuko the swelling bruise.

"You should get that treated," Zuko said, turning down a path that headed back to the tea shop.

"I would, but I am a prisoner. I don't get those luxuries." Kai admitted, Zuko frowned.

"That new Chief of yours should get a new job, no Beifong would allow an injury go untreated."

"I think Chief Mako is just under a lot of stress of finding me, and then I wasn't the nicest to him. So he may have just forgotten." Zuko still seemed a little troubled by Kai's injuries.

"Speaking of which how is Toph?"

"I haven't seen her since I went and visited her in the swamps." A couple of months after the bandits had injured her, Kai had felt the pressure of finding her intense. Kai stowed away in a train and headed to the swamps where Toph was last seen, there rumor said Toph was dead but Kai had found her. Toph grouchily let Kai stay in the swamp until she decided to head back to Republic City. Being able to use her reflexes, which she learned from living in the swamps helped her survive Republic City so long."Well, Kai if that is all." Zuko said stopping in front of his teashop, "I believe you have issues in the physical world that need to be addressed."

Alright done for now! If you need something to read while you wait for me to update, check out my Truth or Dare story! I just updated the first chapter!