Chapter Four: Ruby

Alright! Here's my update! Hope you enjoy it! Also the image above I just found of the internet, but it kind of looks like Ruby so yeah!

Ruby's fists were clenched, her eyes blazed. The interview of Kyatha failed miserably. Ruby had to take over halfway through the interview; her father was already broken down and Kyatha's attitude was harsh. Ruby knew the past few years were harsh on Kyatha but weren't it harsh on everyone? When Kyatha chose to hide from her family, the family was shredded into tiny pieces. It would take years to heal all the wounds Kyatha had created. Ruby had few memories of Kyatha. Ruby was thirteen years old and thought she was too cool to hang out with her younger cousin. But now Ruby wished she had spent more time with the young Kyatha.

Ruby had found out what had happened to Kyatha through numerous phone calls and letters. She was currently training with fire sages in the Fire Nation, when the bandit attacks started to happen at the Air temples. Bolin and Opal brought Kyatha along with them, Kyatha had just gotten her airbending tattoos. She was the youngest Airbender to get her tattoos. Everyone was so happy; Opal, Bolin, Mako, Asami, Jinora, Kai, and Korra. Ruby thought everyone was making a big deal over nothing. Just because she got her tattoos didn't mean they should let an eight-year-old come with them when she could get hurt.

And sure enough, the next letter was a barrier of bad news, Kyatha had gotten caught in the crossfire. Jinora and Kai had to rush back to Republic city so Kyatha could get the medical care she needed, leaving the rest of the crew to deal with the bandits. It was stupid and risky, Opal, Bolin, Korra, Mako, or Asami could get hurt. Yes, they had the Avatar, but it was a risky battle strategy.

When they returned to Republic City, Ruby's parents requested for her to come home. Ruby remembers stepping through the door of the family mansion and seeing Opal and Bolin sobbing together in the corner. Ruby's father, Mako was on the phone with Lin Beifong, the chief of police at the time, sending a missing child report. Ruby's mother, Asami told Ruby in a hushed whisper that Kyatha had checked out of the medical clinic and was nowhere to be found. The next five years were a depressing blur. The reward of finding Kyatha got higher and higher, Lin Beifong retired and handed over the reins to Mako. Ruby graduated top of her class was now a member of the Republic City Police. Opal and Bolin hardly ever left their house, seeming a ghost of their past self. And Kyatha remained unfound, the sighting was reported all over the world, but Mako focused his lens on Republic City figuring Kyatha wouldn't go that far from home.

Ruby had recognized her cousin the moment she walked into her cell, Kyatha had grown up, her hair shoulder length and covering her right eye. It didn't take a detective figure the anti-bending shot was in injected up Kyathas right shoulder, it hung limp against her side. Kyatha had just stood there staring into space, allowing Ruby to get a glance of Kyathats right eye, it was purple and blue, swollen shut. There was a dark red scar covering most of her arrow, and dipping down towards Kyatha's eye. To be honest, it was not a pretty sight, but it made Ruby yearn to comfort her cousin. But she couldn't she was a guard and Kyatha was a prisoner until after the interrogation. But the integration failed miserably, Kyatha didn't lie like a normal imposter. Most said their name was Kyatha, triggering the lie detector. But no, Kyatha did the complete opposite lying about her name. What sort of a name was Kai? Yes, Ruby knew a Kai, as in Kai and Jinora, but Kai as in short for Kyatha just didn't work.

Ruby wondered if Kytha actually cared about how much she was hurting Bolin and Opal. Or was she just scared of what her family would think of her face? Ruby kind of wishes Kyatha just showed it off like a battle injury not hiding it, it made her seem pathetic. Or maybe Kyatha was just scared without her bending. Would Kyatha act differently if she had her bending? Maybe, the one way to find out was to wait for the anti-bending to were off. Speaking of Kyatha, the walk back to her cell was a dreary one. Ruby knew she couldn't speak her mind in front of the other guards. If she could just talk to Kyatha alone she might be able to convince her to stop denying who she was. Nobody would question Ruby, she was slowly rising the ranks and maybe a manager of a unit someday. Not to mention her father was the Chief.

Ruby clicked her key card opening the cell door.

"Thanks," Kyatha hissed, sarcasm dripping from every syllable.

"No problem," Ruby whispered back, Kyatha's hurtful comment about how there Kyatha was gone still stung. Ruby watched through the cell door window as Kyatha slumped over on her cot, her shoulders shaking. Was she crying? Ruby didn't think Kyatha had it in her to care about other people's feelings. But no Kyatha could just be in pain but from where? Her blackeye/scar or where she got injected. Maybe she should go check on her? No, Kyatha was too mad, she could seriously hurt Ruby. Ruby had laws preventing her from fighting with prisoners, but Kyatha didn't seem to care about the rules. She had lied flat out to the Chief of Police with a lie detector activated, not seeming to care about the consequences. Ruby knew that she couldn't let the old Kyatha go but maybe she could do something nice for her. Ruby headed down the hall signaling to an officer to take over her shift. She popped into the locker room grabbed a pain-reliever pill and headed pack to Kyathas cell. It was the least she could do until she talked to her dad about moving Kyatha to a nicer quarter. Ruby peeked through the cell door window, Kyatha still hadn't moved she just sat there, shoulders hunched.

Ruby hesitated what she was about to do was against all protocols, going into a criminal's cell without any orders. She could lose her job or get severely injured. But Ruby knew that all Kyatha needed right now was a little love and kindness, not to be treated like a criminal. Ruby took a deep breath to steady herself and made a mental pro and con list. Pro: Kai didn't have her bending and Ruby was an extremely powerful Fire and Lightning bender. Con: Ruby refuses to fight her cousin, Kyatha is angry and hurt, inside and out. Looking back at the list Ruby realized that the list was pointing towards; You are completely insane! And not; Sure! Great idea! Let's go see your cousin.

Ruby scanned the lock and opened the door, Kyatha didn't lookup. Ruby was unsure what to do next, should she apologize? No Kyatha needed to apologize first, Ruby closed the door behind her, it echoed around the metal cell.

"Kyatha," Ruby spoke tentatively, Kyatha flinched. "Kyatha I want you to look at me." Kyatha buried her hands into her head.

"Everyone always wants something: money, hope, freedom, but you already have all that, Officer Ruby." Ruby stiffened, fist clenched.

"Do you want to know what I want?" Ruby asked, her voice was quiet but forceful. "I want a normal life, not spending the last five years of my life looking for you. And when we finally find you, your acting as if you don't care about all the suffering you have caused our family."

"But what if I don't?" Kyatha asked, her voice faltering. "All I want is for you to forget about this Kyatha of yours." Tears were dripping down her face, how long until Kyatha went violent? "I am not your Kyatha!" Kyatha defense was crumbling, her face becoming less of a mask, and started to show true feelings.

"Kyatha look at me," Ruby brought in a little bit of bad cop into her voice. Kyatha looked up at Ruby, one eye swollen shut and the other brimming with tears. "All we want is you back home, we don't care how much you have changed, we just want you with us, safe and sound." Kyatha looked away.

"No, you don't, I'm a criminal," Kyatha whispered.

"Your not, you're just hurting. The bandits hurt you more than you think." Ruby instantly regretted her words, the bandits were a huge anger switch for Kyatha. Kyatha stood up, her chin trembling.

"You know nothing about me." Kyathas voice trembled with unsaid rage. "My name is not Kyatha, and you are, not my family." Ruby stood her ground staring at Kyatha eye to eye. "Now I advise you to leave before you get hurt." Ruby had kept her anger back so far, but she hated being called weak.

"No," Ruby challenged. "You need to stop denying us, we're your family."

"I am not denying anything," Kai said in Ruby's face. "Your the one denying that your precious little Kyatha is gone."

"Oh for cabbage's sake, Kyatha you're the one denying, your family wants you, they want to love you." Ruby's voice broke, "We want you home."

"It's not my home!" Kyathas voice sounded shrill.

"Then what is your home? The dump?" Ruby asked, she knew she needed to leave before she started to bend, she would lose her job for sure. "I'm sorry Kyatha, I thought I could give you a chance, but you're more selfish than I thought." Ruby left Kyatha's cell, closed the door, and collapsed against the door sobbing.

Alright, I am done, for now, please let me know what you think in the comments! Also if you haven't checked out my friend Dohdee yet, please do her story is awesome!