Marauders Unite

Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter. Any names, places and other things you may recognise from the books belong to JK Rowling, not me.   Please let me know how your finding the story so I can give my friend so feedback. Thanks :) 

 Turns out, Remus was right. A few days later, before it got dark, a large black dog leapt at Ron and dragged him into a hole under the whomping willow.

After a quick beating, Ron was followed by Harry and Hermione. Prongs waited by the edge of the forest. As soon as the castle doors opened, Prongs ran towards the man who had just emerged, changing as he went, until James and Remus stood at the whomping willow.

"Are you sure you want to do this James?" Remus askes, "they'll find out you're alive"

"Yes, I'm sure. I need to be in there" he replied, "If Harry gets hurt, I won't be able to live with myself"

He plunged into the tunnel, Remus hot on his heels. They reached the shrieking shack and hurried upstairs, Remus taking the lead.

"I don't want to kill Harry! I want the rat" Sirius said firmly.

"Give it to him, Ron" came Harry's voice. Remus Burst in.

"Sirius wait. They at least deserve an explanation"

"I did my waiting! Twelve years of it! In Azkaban!"

"And I'm sure you can wait a few minute more. We at least owe them and explanation."

James stood in the shadows still unnoticed by everyone in the room. They spent a while explaining, then James ducked out the way as Snape burst through the door, oblivious to his enemy. Next thing he knew, Snape was knocked out with a spell, Sirius and Remus had wands pointed at a rat, which changed into a familiar looking scrawny man. James lost it. He burst into the room, stormed over and punched Peter Pettigrew in the face, knocking him out cold.

"Sorry. Had to get that out of my system" he turned to four shocked, speechless faces, a knocked out Snape in the corner and Remus shaking his head in dismay. Sirius was the first to recover.

"Remus, please tell me you see him to" His voice was shaking.

"James" Remus said trying, not to laugh, "I thought you said you weren't going to punch him"

"I know I said that, but he tore my family apart. I couldn't help it"

Harry was still quiet. James turned to him and sighed. Harry was ghost white, from the shock. Ron was sat on the floor clutching his leg and Hermione was crouched next to him watching.

"Harry" Remus said "why don't you sit down and I, well we, can explain"

"Explain WHAT!" Harry exploded in a rage so much like his fathers, face and hands going red with rage, "that my dad never died! That he's been watching me all this time and you knew! You knew all this time and you didn't tell me! About him and Sirius!"

"Harry, calm down" Remus was getting frantic, Sirius was trying not to laugh, Ron and Hermione were still frozen in shock and James was looking at Harry as if looking for something to say.

"Harry" James said tentatively, stepping forward, "I've... I really don't know how to say this. I've been waiting for the right moment. To tell you I'm alive. But, it's been hard. I have been watching you though, just not as you imagined. I would listen as you spoke to Hagrid and help when you were in danger, especially in the forest"

Harry looked at his father "the stag" he said "when Ron and I got in to trouble with Aragog last year, a stag came to bail us out. And in first year, a stag saved me from Voldemort in the forest. And I always saw a stag at the edge of the forest when we visited Hagrid. That was you! All of it was you!"

"Of course! The only reason I found you was because I knew you were starting Hogwarts. I wanted to come and get you so we could be a family but I didn't know where you were"

Harry ran to his dad and gave him a hug, "that's everything I've always wanted to hear"

Groaning started to come from behind as both Snape and Pettigrew began to stir.

"We should do something with them." It was Hermione who spoke. She and Ron had been so quiet that the others had forgotten they were there. In a flash, James had pulled out his wand, bound Pettigrew and awoke Snape, who lunged for Harry. James got between them.

"Now, now Snape. Don't go hurting Harry, you could do some serious harm"

Snape took a step back, "Potter what is the meaning of this? And Potter how exactly are you here?" Then he realised what he had just said, "Potter and Potter"

Sirius rolled his eyes and knocked Snape out again with a quick bang on the head using a piece of wood, "Now then, can we take Wormtail here back to the castle and get my name cleared"

James smiled at the old nickname, "Sure Padfoot, as long as you don't mind going without me or Moony"

Remus tilted his head, confused. "Full moon" James added.

"Shit!" Remus went white, "I haven't taken my potion. You need to leave, now!"

Harry looked confused, as did Ron, but Hermione knew exactly what was going on. "Harry, you take Pettigrew, Sirius could you help me with Ron and then Mr Potter can stay with Professor Lupin."

"What about Snape," Harry asked

Sirius picked up Snape's wand, "I got him" lifted him into the air and the group left with Snape bouncing along in front.

******

Harry came down on the last day of term, to update James about what happened after they left.

"Sirius is a free man, but Pettigrew still got away. No one knows how" Harry said

"Well he always was a rat" James said, making Harry laugh.

"I wish we could have done this since first year dad. Helps me to forget all the bad stuff that's happened"

"You mean, you're not mad"

"Mad at what?"

"Me. For not being around or telling you I was alive sooner"

"No. When we were in the Shrieking Shack I realised that you would have come for me if you could. I will be able to survive summers at the Dursley's if I know I can see you during term time"

"That makes me feel a bit better, but the Dursley's? As in..."

"Aunt Petunia, Uncle Vernon and Cousin Dudley," Harry finished.

"The Muggles" James said flatly, "They hated me for reasons I'll never understand. I can't imagine how they've been treating you"

Harry filled him in on things that James had missed. Before he left, Harry handed his father a stationary set. "I'll write to you over summer" he said, "I though you would need something to use so you could write back." Then he left.