chapter 22

As the match of the season against Alternative is ever approaching, I can't help but feel a little anxious. After all, I'll be competing against Luke and I really can't afford to lose.

I've always been a better swimmer than him but who knows what nasty tricks he'll pull. I really have to be prepared for anything.

The energy at school doesn't help much either. I forgot the feeling of the chaos and pressure in the halls as I saw crowds of people around the vibrant posters plastered on the walls.

Many of my classmates were discussing and betting on who will take the win this year.

Wherever I go, it's always "Don't lose!" and "Come on, Captain! We're counting on you!" Way to help my cortisol levels guys, appreciate it.

I cautiously stepped into Coach Hedge's office. There, to my surprise, was Annabeth standing in the corner looking as pissed as ever.

"What are you doing here?" we asked in unison.

"Coach Hedge wanted to meet with me," we replied, again in unison.

"Why did he call both of us?"

"Why did he call you?" I amended, emphasizing the last word.

She smiled as if I was talking gibberish. "I'm also a captain? Duh?"

"Oh," I said, faking surprise with a huge smile. "It's you who's competing this weekend!"

We were interrupted by a loud sipping noise from Hedge. "Calm down," he said, taking another sip. "You two will be working together to set up the fundraiser for this weekend."

Annabeth shot me a glare.

I shrugged. "Alright, I'm fine with that."

"That's it," Coach Hedge interrupted, saving her a reply. "I trust you two will figure it out. Please leave my office, I have tests to grade."

With one shared look, Annabeth and I hurried out of his office. From past experiences, we know that no one wants to mess with grumpy Hedge.

"So, can I get your number?"

I turned around to Annabeth holding her phone out to a new contact page.

"For the fundraiser," I muttered. "Of course."

Annabeth's eyebrows shot up. "Yeah, yeah! The fundraiser, sorry about that."

I entered my number and returned the device to her awkwardly.

She put her phone away and pointed toward the cafeteria. "I have to go eat lunch so-"

"Me too," I replied hurriedly.

An awkward silence hung over us as we walked over and I decided to break it. "So, I'll get home a bit earlier and we'll discuss at my house tonight?"

She nodded. "Sounds good."

"Great," I spotted Grover sitting in our usual spot. "See you tonight?"

"See you tonight," she confirmed.

I grabbed a sandwich from the lunch line and slid next to Grover on the bench.

"Hey," I greeted, nudging him with my elbow. "What's poppin?"

"Sliding into her messages, huh?"

I almost choked on my sandwich. "What?"

"I saw you giving Annabeth your number," he replied, wiggling his eyebrows obnoxiously.

I nudged him harder. "Oh my god, it's just for a fundraiser!"

He shrugged. "Whatever you say."

"You're lucky I love you."

"Ew, well I don't," I didn't reply. "Just kidding! Just kidding!"

"So, how's Juniper?" I squinted. "I asked you so many times over text and you left me on read."

"Sorry about that, Perce. We've been well," he gushed, eyes shining. "I haven't really told many people and we really don't do PDA so I'm pretty sure most people don't know."

"I'm happy for you, dude."

"Thanks!"

Suddenly, both of our eyes followed a girl with choppy brown hair and a blonde guy, holding hands and laughing among themselves.

"Speaking of new couples," Grover muttered.

"Jason!" I called.

He looked over and waved. "Hey!"

Piper leaned past Jason and smiled at me briefly, before tilting her head and raising her brows to a place in front of her.

I looked for what she was trying to show me and I found Annabeth sitting alone at their lunch table, phone out.

I smiled fakely and flipped her off. She giggled and stuck her tongue out.

I sighed. "I hate my life," I muttered.

It was at this time Juniper decided to come over and peck Grover on the cheek. "My house? Tonight?"

Grover nodded, blushing. Juniper smiled and left. Single lives matter, I thought.