chapter 4

I didn't notice I wasn't responding until Grover cleared his throat and said, "Uh, you good?"

I smiled at him, eyes dazzling. "I'm better than good, man! Look over here!"

Grover peered over my shoulder and his eyes widened. I expected him to look at me happily, but he crossed his arms, a stern expression on his face.

"You told Annabeth that you're going to be in the swim team and not me?" His tone came out slightly offended.

The blood drained from my face. "You know, I didn't exactly tell her, she-"

"Hello, Perseus." A familiar voice said.

Annabeth quirked her eyebrow and Piper followed suit.

"What do you want, Miss Perfect?" I said.

Annabeth grinned. "Wipe that smile off your face, Jackson. I heard there's two other boys who are also trying out, and that your chances aren't as high now." She scrunched her nose in disgust. "You know, not practicing in a while and all."

I froze on the spot.

"Oh shove off, Chase," Grover said as he pulled me the other way. (AN: hope you get the reference LOL)

I felt my heart drop. Annabeth was right. I haven't swam officially in such a long time.

"Perce, are you seriously letting her words affect you? She probably just wants you to lose so she has no real competition in the school. Who knows, you're literally a prodigy, you might touch the pool water or smell the chlorine and BAM, you're in fish mode again?"

I smiled a little. "Thanks. I could never do anything without you."

Grover grinned. "Anytime, Perce. Now get to Mrs. Dodds' class or she's going to murder you!"

"Fine. Same spot after class?"

"Of course, Perce. Gotta go." Grover waved and turned around.

I sighed heavily, dragging my feet as I walked to the other side of the school. Mrs. Dodds' math class was my least favorite class of all time. I had no friends in this class and Mrs. Dodds hates my guts for some reason.

The bell rang right when I stepped in the classroom, so I was in the clear. I chose a spot in the back as a measly attempt to get through the class unnoticed.

I almost dozed off until I heard a familiar voice right next to me.

"Hi Percy! Mind if I sit here?" Rachel asked.

My head shot up and I smiled warmly. "Yeah, of course."