chapter 29 (annabeth's POV)

My car revved to life as I backed away from Percy's driveway. I pictured Sally's car doing the same just a few hours later, sending Percy to Rachel's party. I frowned at the thought and turned on the radio to fill my thoughts.

"It's not as complicated as they say, true love can come to you anyday! Call and find your true love at xxx-xxx-xxxx and live happily ever after with your true love!"

I changed the station immediately, unsettled by the seemingly personal attack of an advertisement.

What are the chances. Even my BMW can tell I'm down horrendous.

A peaceful tune thankfully led my thoughts away from my self wallowing. I pulled up to my driveway and mentally prepared for a lecture by my step-mom, already imagining what she was going to say.

For whatever reason (she's not even my mom), she had set a rule that I can't be out of the house with friends for more than 2 hours. It had already been 3. I popped my airpods in, unlocked the door, and booked it to the stairs.

Expectantly, I heard her muffled yelling of my name. I shut my door with a click, promptly collapsing on my bed.

My chest heaved as I struggled to control my breathing. My eyes shut for a few seconds before a special ringtone rang out.

Why is Piper calling me? I wondered as I answered the call.

"Hey bitch."

"Wow, warm welcomes! Missed you too hon."

I scoffed. "What do you want."

"So..." Oh no. "How was your date?"

"It wasn't-"

"Bae. It was-"

"I kissed him."

"You what?"

"I kissed him, Piper."

"He didn't kiss you?"

I laughed. "No. He didn't have the guts to."

"He asked you to be his girlfriend, right?"

"About that..."

"Annabeth?" Piper almost yelled.

"Yeah, uh, it's not official. Yet."

"Oh this Jackson I thought he would be so great for you, I was so excited to see what this sly guy had up his sleeves, but I will literally beat the shit out of him on Monday. His head is large as hell anyway, with that hairstyle I could smack him on the back of the head and it would hurt. Real bad."

"Piper," I chastised, smiling at her stupidity.

"Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry," she responded immediately...not sounding even a little sorry.

"Piper."

"I'm just saying, you like a guy who didn't have the balls to even ask you out on a date when you kissed him first."

I straightened up. "No, Piper, you don't understand-"

"I understand this situation much better than you, Miss I make great decisions outside of love."

"Piper, please."

"Babe, how could you possibly excuse his-"

"He asked me out on another date. I barely know him, it's alright."

She hummed. "You make good points. Still doesn't mean I'm not beating the fuck out of this green-eyed goblin at school."

"Piper!"