chapter 14

Thalia rushed forward to hug him with tears falling out of her eyes. "Is it really you?"

"Yes, Thalia. It's me."

She retracted back and cupped his face while studying his identical eyes. "Where have you been?"

Jason smiled at her sadly. "To be honest, I have no clue whatsoever."

"Oh, I miss you so much," she said and pulled him in for another hug.

I sighed. "Small world, I guess?"

"I never knew Thalia had a brother," Reyna shrugged.

"It seems like she didn't even know she did."

"Hey, Earth to you two! What are you guys talking about?"

"So what's happening here?"

Thalia sighed. "It's kind of a long story."

We sat down and the two looked at each other apprehensively before Thalia began.

"Well, Jason and I are siblings but we have different dads. My mom had an affair with Jason's dad."

Reyna and I sucked in a breath.

"It appears that Jason got taken in by his father and his wife once she found out about his existence. My mom didn't want anything to do with that woman, so she told me Jason was dead for all of my life."

Jason scratched his neck. "My stepmom, I guess, sort of wiped my memory so that's why I didn't recognize Thalia's name. Our family is sort of messed up, I don't really want to talk about it."

Jason looked very uncomfortable, so I decided to change the topic.

"I ran into Luke today," Thalia tensed. "He tried to threaten me and he said he has tricks up his sleeve. I have no idea how he would harm me from a different school. Has Luke been rude to you guys at Alt?"

"He's at Alt right now?" Reyna asked. "I thought he was still at Goode and he was kidding?"

"He's been absent for the past few days so I assumed he was at Alt. He isn't?"

"Apparently not."

"Oh? That's strange. I feel bad for you both anyway, he finds a way to be a pain in the ass no matter where he is."

We continued to bond over our mutual hate for Luke until the sun set, laughing until our stomachs hurt.