chapter 32

The first sound I heard was beeping.

At first, I thought that it was my alarm clock. I opened my eyes, and the bright white environment and artificial light reminded me that I was at a hospital.

Right. What day is it?

The door then creaked open to reveal a kind-looking lady who seemed to be the nurse. Her eyes scanned the room quickly. The poor lady looked frightened once she doubled back, as if she didn't expect me to be looking back at her.

"Mr. Jackson? You're awake?"

I grinned. "Yeah. What day is it?"

"Still the same day," she replied. "Just a bit later. The doctor expected you to be out for a bit longer, sorry for my surprise."

"Oh, no worries!"

She smiled. "My name is Hestia, please let me know if you need anything."

I nodded, and she left quickly.

With that and the new silence in the room, I finally looked closer at my injuries.

My wrist was elevated, wrapped in a cast, and suspended in the air. Also, my head was throbbing. And my legs ached. And the side of my torso.

Basically, everywhere.

Luke, that asshole, I cursed, trying to move around my wrist. A sharp pain shot through my body, feeling as if it reached my foot. I winced. Bad idea.

"Perseus Jackson?"

I looked up to see another man in a similar uniform as Hestia. He looked really familiar. Like really familiar.

"Doctor...Solace?"

He looked surprised. "How do you know my name?"

"You're Will's father, aren't you?"

Dr. Solace smiled. "You would be right. Do you also go to the Edgarton Boarding School? How come I've never seen you?"

"No, I still go to Goode," I shook my head. "That's why. I knew him a while ago."

"Perseus...Percy, right? I've heard of you from my wife."

I nodded, grinning. "I eat food there often."

"That's great to hear," Dr. Solace said, his smile widening. "Well, my apologies, we got off topic. I would like to check up on a few things with you."

He talked with me about a few things and asked me a couple questions about my situation. As I responded, he jotted down a few notes.

"So, to confirm, you can move your wrist?"

I winced. "Yeah, but I would prefer not to."

"Normally this would be a really easy situation. However, since this isn't the first time you've hurt your wrist, we may need to discuss with your parents for longer."

Another voice spoke up. "Mr. Jackson? Dr. Solace? May I come in?"

"Yes. Hestia, is there a problem?"

I thought I heard extra steps for just one person being there.

"Perce! You're alright!"

Grover's voice confirmed my suspicions. I smiled, nodding at him.

Annabeth ran in right behind Grover, and I admit my heart did a little relay race in my chest when I saw her. She looked on edge for some reason. At my smile, she relaxed a little.

"What's wrong?"

"Well, you hit your head. I thought you might've forgotten a few things."

"It's not even close to that severe," I replied. "I'm sure I will remember you anyway. Regardless of any circumstance."

At that, Annabeth grinned, one that displayed pure relief. My brain short circuited. It's not that she tried to look good. She was in an oversized hoodie, sweatpants, and wet hair.

Simp, I chide myself. The idea of asking her out in the near future combined with the painkillers made me feel loopy.

"Well, I'm glad you're awake, Perce."

"Thanks," I said. "I'm glad you're here."

Someone else cleared their throat. "Percy, come on. How could you not notice your own mother?"

I looked to see my mom and Paul. "I'm sorry! Hi Mom, hi Paul!"

She smiled, walking over to hug me as best as she could. "I'm glad to see that you're alright, honey. You made us worried."

Paul nodded. "Gave us a bit of a scare, Jackson. That fall looked bad."

"It hurt," I commented, making them laugh a little. "Anyway, thanks for coming, guys."

"Yeah, um, could I talk with Percy alone for a bit?" Annabeth suddenly asked. Oh shit. "I'll be quick."

My mom, Paul, and Grover somehow had the same knowing expression.

"Sure, have fun guys!" My mom replied quickly, dragging the three of them out of the room. "Nurse Hestia and Doctor Solace, we can talk more outside."

I watched them leave, rolling my eyes fondly. There's the Mom I know and love.

Once they shut the door, I turned to Annabeth. She looked kind of anxious, twisting her rings around.

I'm supposed to be nervous, not you.

I smiled anyway in relief. "So? What did you want to talk about?"