Prologue

As the sky turned into a mixture of pink and orange and the sun began to retire over the Kingdom of Harkenbane, a young traveller wondered into the town of Pyrohglade. The streets were already emptying due to the setting sun, however, the traveller stood out well in the crowd. His tanned skin was covered in scars, his messy, slick black hair waved in the gentle wind, and his steel-coloured eyes were staring at his destination; the local tavern. This man stood 6 foot 2 inches tall, and over towered many of the locals. Women whispered about him as he walked past with his head held high. The men made sure to not enter his pathway as they stared at the large sword resting on his back. The blood stains on his hands were also intimidating to many who walked by.

Once arriving in front of his destination, the man stopped to appreciate the smell of booze leaking from the windows, and the sound of drunken men cheering together. This was his happy place, as was any other tavern. The one place he can be at peace. He goes to a tavern after a job. He goes to a tavern when he's in a good mood. He goes when he's in a bad mood. This is his haven, where he can forget about everything.

With his blood-stained hand, the man pushed the door opened, and soon enough, everyone's attention was on him. They recognized him from flyers and news articles; he was famous in Evervein, a neighbouring Kingdom to Harkenbane, and famous for its strong military. This man graduated top of his class in the military camp when he was just 15, and not only that, but he is the son of a famous general for the Kingdom of Laverlot, Harry Edwards. This man's name is Luix, and he's known for taking any kind of mercenary job for the right price.

Luix walked towards the bar, his head still held high with pride. Everyone stopped everything they were doing just to look at this man. Not only was he famous for his strength...But he was also well known in the tavern industry for his drinking habits. The bartender seemed nervous as Luix stood in front of him, his body over towering him. The bartender was scrawny and short, while Luix was tall and looked like he could lift an entire carriage, horse and passengers included.

"You don't happen to have somewhere I can wash off this blood, do you?" Luix questioned, holding his hand up to show his bloodstained hands. The bartender turned pale, sweat running down his trembling body. He ended up collapsing from fear, causing Luix to raise an eyebrow. He looked over the bar to see the bartender on the ground unconscious.

"I'll get you something sir." Another bartender called out, catching Luix' attention. This was an older man who was cleaning a glass while approaching Luix. "Excuse him, he's still new. I'll get you a cloth and a drink on the house."

.

.

.

Luix was welcomed by all of the customers. They all offered to pay for his drinks, asked about his travels, and would ask him about any of the rumours they heard. They all ensured to keep on his good side too, considering they've heard what can happen if Luix gets angry.

Eventually, one man who seemed quite wealthy by how he dressed took a seat in front of Luix, a small grin on his face. Once he was sat down, the men surrounding Luix eventually scattered, as if the man who sat in front of Luix scared them. The mercenary looked around at the men who seemed fearful at the man. Luix then turned his head to the man in front of him; nothing seemed particularly scary about him. No hair on his head, wrinkles on his pale skin and he had such a scrawny and weak looking figure. He looks like he couldn't protect himself from a wasp sting.

"So, you're the great mercenary, Luix. Born in Laverlot, father of a great general, and top of his class at the best camp in Evervein." Luix grunted at the man speaking as he took a drink. He gulped it down, before putting the glass down, looking at the man in front of him with a cautious stare.