Chapter 2

Taytum's POV:

    After telling Adam for the fiftieth time that I was okay, I headed to my apartment. I washed all the blood off my face, re-applied my makeup, and threw my clothes in the washing machine. I told Jay I would meet him at Molly's, and while I was changing into jeans and a cropped baby blue sweater vest my phone buzzed.

Jay: Change of plans. I'll pick you up in 10

Taytum: Jay Halstead what are you up too?

J: Nothing I just thought we could use a change of scenery. Plus it's karaoke night at Molly's and I can't handle a drunk Kim singing lol

T: Ok, but you're buying

    I sighed as I tossed my phone onto my bed. It's a normal thing for us. I mean we are best friends and know practically everything there is to know about each other...most of that knowledge being shared when either of us was drunk. We definitely weren't the sappy type. Hailey would always joke about us acting like an old married couple...and I couldn't help but think maybe we would be. Then I remembered that we wouldn't...that only happens in romance novels.

     A knock on the door interrupted my thoughts. I slid on my Dr. Martens and grabbed my phone. I opened the door to see a smiling Jay. 

     "Not the sweater vest again", Jay joked as he leaned against the door frame. "Don't get me wrong you look amazing...you always do, but you live in that thing."

     "First of all, no one asked you. Second of all..are we just gonna stand here are you buying me a drink", Jay and I laughed as I followed him out of my apartment.

     He drove to our second favorite bar, obviously Molly's being our first. Thankfully, it wasn't very busy and we got a table next to a window. I ordered a beer as did Jay like we always do, but I could tell something was off with him. He might think he's good at hiding things, but trust me when I tell you...he's not.

Jay's POV:

     I was trying my best to have a good time. It wasn't because of Taytum...well it kinda was. Not in a bad way though, she's my best friend and the person I always want to be around. That's the problem. I can't stop thinking about how I let her down today. I'm her partner and I didn't have her back. If she would've gotten hurt worse than a bloody nose that would've been on me. And the bloody nose is already hard enough to deal with, even though I know Taytum and how tough she is.

     The conversation had went quiet as I finished yet another beer, not knowing which number it was, I've had so many. It was a lot in one night and Taytum noticed. After she finished her first beer, she ordered a coke. This happens more than you think. One of us gets a bad case and wants to drink our sorrows away. The other one is there to make sure the other gets home safe, and to offer a shoulder to cry one. Not that we ever did that, we both are too stubborn to admit out problems. Something was different tonight though. She seemed annoyed.

     "Jay, it's late. Let's go", Taytum chugged the rest of her coke and put on her jacket. She reached for the keys, but I grabbed them before she could. "You know you're not driving."

     "You shouldn't have to drive me home, again. I'll be fine, and I'll be even better knowing that you can go be frustrated somewhere else", I rolled my eyes, not even knowing why. Honestly, I couldn't even see Taytum's reaction because my vision was so blurry.

     "Stop being a dick and give me your damn keys", she crossed her arms before she held her hand out. 

    I willingly gave her the keys knowing I was acting like a jerk. I barely stood up while Taytum took my arm and wrapped it around her shoulder for support. Surprisingly we were able to make it to my truck, the slamming of the door sending a sharp pain through my skull. This hangover would suck. Taytum started driving as I looked out the window, all the light's blurring into one.

Taytum's POV:

    I wasn't mad at Jay for getting drunk because that would definitely be hypocritical on my part. I was mad that he didn't mention his PTSD getting worse. Like I said, he tries to hide it but fails. I see the way he flinches, the tremors he gets in his hands, and I've even walked in one him having a nightmare when I was looking for Adam in Intelligence. Hailey even told me about how he pointed a gun at her...most likely seeing Afghanistan. We tell each other everything, yet he never mentioned it. Then again...I can't say anything.

     It took a lot of my strength to get a wasted Jay into his apartment, but I succeeded. I threw his keys on the kitchen counter and guided him into his bedroom. He collapsed onto the bed and I knew he was out. 

     This isn't the first time this has happened, so I knew what to do. I hated sleeping in my good clothes, so I put on my favorite sweatshirt of Jay's that ends right at my thighs and took my jeans off. I covered him up with a blanket and placed a kiss on his forehead before heading out into the living room. 

     It wasn't too late, and even if it was I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep. I grabbed the remote turning on Friends as I raided Jay's freezer.

     Bingo. Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream my...our favorite. 

     I cozied up on the couch, watching TV for the remainder of the night.